Talk to me about this Fumoto Valve..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are several on their site and I'd like to pick out the best one.

Does this thing simply thread into the bottom of the oil pan?

Some cat earlier in another thread mentioned that he can drain his filter oil too out of oil catch....

?

Thanks

It threads in where the drain plug does. They work well (I had one on my previous DD), although they are more vulnerable to get knocked off by a rock, depending on the strength of your skidplates. I was just looking at them and probably would get the short nipple version if I was to buy one for the FJ. But with a 10K mile oil change interval (for the 2010+ FJs like mine) I'm not sure I need one, I don't put a lot of miles on my cars so I won't be changing more than every 10-12 months or so. I can deal with the regular drain plug that often.

I can't recommend them....HIGHLY ENOUGH! I have the long nip and no problems after 8 years. Plus no need for those pesky washers. I put one end of a tube on the nipple, the other in a milk carton and open the valve. Change oil every 8K, filter every 4K.

x2. I LOVE the thing. Been running it since Jan. '14. I have an 07...so the oil filter thing has a catch with a drain...I can drain it into a small bottle and the main pan into a large bottle using this valve. Zero mess. zero fuss. I have the 'S' short nipple version. It is PLENTY tucked up in the skids so no worries there.

Not sure what year you have but the 07-10(?) has the top mount filter...there is a little drain hole / bung in the aluminum catch base below the filter..

3226675507_0b55098a3e.jpg

X3 recommend it also. I've installed on most of my vehicles. Fav part is being able to drain oil when hot via tubing right into recycle container.

On my FJC, it was above the BudBuilt skids, well protected. On my 80, don't have any skidplate installed yet but the valve is above the frame rails...

e80f455d.jpg

Have the Fumoto valve on all my vehicles. Very convenient to use especially if you're changing the oil when hot. One thing to keep in mind is that the oil drains slowly compared to removing the drain plug. I start mine draining, then move up to the oil filter removal, cleaning off various motor components while the oil drains. Of course, you could always just remove the valve to get it to drain faster but then why buy one in the first place.

That is true it does drain more slowly. Having the oil warmed up helps.

For what it's worth, I have them on my personal vehicles. It's much easier to change, but as BigSwede says, it does drain more slowly. Even on my little Toyota Yaris, it takes quite a while to drain out. However, it doesn't get much easier!

-Andy

Yes! Get one! Depending on your skid set-up... having the nipple is nice as you can attach a rubber hose to direct the oil into a catch. It does drain slower so warming up helps.... as others have mentioned. I let mine drain to a very slow drip.... then close it up and let it sit over night. In the morning I open it up again and let out a stream of the last oil that settled over night. then re-fill and check level, etc. these things do NOT leak and make oil changes that much easier! Follow install directions not to over-torque on install

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom