Taking OEM rack off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any tips? How to?
Tried the search feature but no luck.
This is for 99 100 series. I look in my Ebay Electronic Service Manual but it was not even listed.

Well I finally find it out.

Its pretty easy to do. Just need a strong nail to pop the cover off the roof rack end bracket. Once you remove the cover all the bolt are exposed. The middle come off after sliding the main rail off and exposing the 2 bolts inside.

Now I just need to find a cover to plug the hole temporarily until I finish the new rack design.

What are you adding?
I've heard a lot of the 80 series owners complain about rust under their roof racks, but I haven't seen/heard much of that on the 100s. What did you find under yours?

LT
8)

Mine was clean underneath. No trace of rust whatsoever. The bolt was sealed using clear silicone but I could see moisture getting trapped underneath the rubber booth. I might put a thin layer of clear silicone underneath when I put it back.

I am planning to build a full length roof plarform. I dont want basket type since it would prohibit me from parking inside the garage. This just for carrying lumber or ladder if I need something for the house and would be build to accept all Yakima acessories. More like the picture below. That it what I have in my old Montero. I am still looking for suitable adapter to mount it to the roof.

I recently looked into roof racks for my 99 100series, and purchased a yakima road warrior. Course its a basket and not what ya want. There are racks that will mount where the stock cross bars mount. Time and money made me go with the yakima. I am interested where you would mount a rack w/o the factory one on, would you fab up everything yourself?

-Matt

I grabbed an old aluminum extension ladder at a garage sale . Pulled it apart and tacked it directly to the roof . Complete with red flags and the end caps . Part of my bold new look ... ;))

Tyler - Yeah , like I'll ever fall thru a crevase 8>(|)

Matt,

I am planning use either Rhino rack feet or Thule feet. The roof already have 12 mounting holes. They are 8 mm size so they should be plenty for up to 500 Lbs.

Ideally I would like to get track mount like what comes with outback roof rack but I really don't like their roof rack style plus I would not be able to afford their price anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom