Tailgate Warpage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have seen a couple posts about tailgate armor and the weakness of said gates. I noticed on this new 80 I have that the lower gate is definately bent due to too much weight applied to the gate when it was down. I was hopeing that some of you (CDan) might have a few suggestions as to the material used to put on the gate to strengthen it and the fasteners used to secure it. I recal CDan using aluminum cut to replace the carpet but I am more interested in the fasteners and any other ideas that you guys might have to semi straighten it a bit and keep it secure. Thanks Guys.:cheers:

I would vote for rivnuts/nutserts. I've used them on the snorkle and the aux fuel tank installs and they are awesome.

I like the idea of a metal sheet on the rear tailgate but would go to stainless steel for me.

I used a piece of 1/4 inch thick 6061 aluminum cut to the same shape as the original carpet panel. I used the original clip holes, opened up, and I set 6mm nut-serts in the holes and I used counter-sunk phillips-head screws to attach it.
C-Dan'sRearDrawers6.JPG

In order to get the bow out I took a 1/4 inch eyebolt and passed it through the center lower clip hole with the eye on the outside and the largest diameter fender washers I could find on the backside. I then took a short length of small chain and attached it to the loop. I passed a long steel bar through the loop in the chain and rested one end on a piece of 2x8 on the cargo floor to spread the load. I then lifted up on the other end and carefully pulled the gate back into shape.

clownmidget said:
I would vote for rivnuts/nutserts. I've used them on the snorkle and the aux fuel tank installs and they are awesome.

I like the idea of a metal sheet on the rear tailgate but would go to stainless steel for me.

Clown that piece of 6061 on mine weighs 23 lbs, and you can really feel it when you operate the gate. Steel would easily double that weight and then opening the gate could get exciting for someone who doesn't expect it.

Dan, that sure is purty :hillbilly

Is that stainless hardware to boot? How much more weight do you feel the tailgate can handle now?

Yeah, but I'd go with a thinner sheet if using SS. Maybe drill a bunch of holes in it too :D

clownmidget said:
Dan, that sure is purty :hillbilly

Is that stainless hardware to boot? How much more weight do you feel the tailgate can handle now?

The screws are chrome 6x1mm, the nut-serts are cad plated.

There's over 440 lbs of US GI .30 caliber M2 ball stacked on the gate in this pic...:hillbilly:
5640rounds.jpg

Last edited:
clownmidget said:
Yeah, but I'd go with a thinner sheet if using SS. Maybe drill a bunch of holes in it too :D

I pondered this for some time and a thin sheet of steel just didn't have the resistace to bowing that I was looking for. That is why I selected the tempered aluminum.

Hah, that looks like it could support my dead a$$ ;)

Yes, the alum would be much stiffer and less likely to deflect. I'm concerned about the way it wears but yours looks really good. Did it have a finish, clear coat or anodized? Or just plain old oxidation?

Plain old oxidation. I thought about polishing it or painting it but I decided against it because the gate sees a lot of "table time" and "bench time". We set a stove on it, and use it as a work bench so I decided to leave it natural. I also use it as a rifle cleaning station at remote matches. It has been on there for about 3 or 4 years and it still looks good. The thickness of the material also enables counter-sinking the fasteners far enough so that the heads are below the surface of the panel and they do not catch on things as they are dragged accross the gate during loading and unloading.

cruiserdan said:
I used a piece of 1/4 inch thick 6061 aluminum cut to the same shape as the original carpet panel. I used the original clip holes, opened up, and I set 6mm nut-serts in the holes and I used counter-sunk phillips-head screws to attach it.

That kicks a$$. Good work....make me one and I'll buy it. :grinpimp:

Thanks a million Dan! That is exactly what I was looking for. Makes a very nice looking instal. Great info and photos. The ammo photo gives me confidence as I am not quite 440 although I feel like it sometimes. Thanks.

If I were doing the same I'd test out 1/8 inch thick aluminum and see if that does the job. 23lbs may be overkill, especially for me, as I am already overloaded when packed for a week or more in the back country. Clear anodized wouldn't be a bad way to go for surface treatment.

Sort of a personal question, no?................:D

It do get a bit warm in the summer tho.....If you know what I mean..:eek:

Very nice tailgate!

BTW, wouldn't it be neat to have work lamps in the upper tailgate that shine on the cargo space when closed and on the tailgate/work area when open. Anyone done that?

I like this design. I always felt that the tailgate was a bit on the wimpy side for serious 'bench uses', and the plate would be easier to clean. A couple of questions, though, regarding the cooking: I take it that you haven't yet burned your drawer down on a windy day? And I take it that you haven't managed to make your cargo area look like the inside of a McDonald's kitchen? I suppose any spills or splashes could be used as emergency food...

cruiserdan said:
Plain old oxidation. I thought about polishing it or painting it but I decided against it because the gate sees a lot of "table time" and "bench time". We set a stove on it, and use it as a work bench so I decided to leave it natural. I also use it as a rifle cleaning station at remote matches. It has been on there for about 3 or 4 years and it still looks good. The thickness of the material also enables counter-sinking the fasteners far enough so that the heads are below the surface of the panel and they do not catch on things as they are dragged accross the gate during loading and unloading.

The stove only sits there if there is no place else to set it and the stove lid acts as a barrier. No bacon cooking on the tailgate tho....;)

cruiserdan said:
The stove only sits there if there is no place else to set it and the stove lid acts as a barrier. No bacon cooking on the tailgate tho....;)

[hijack]
Did you get my pm?
[/hijack]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom