Tailgate handle alternative? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After 8 years, I was rummaging through my parts box in anticipation of putting my pig back together. I found the tailgate handle and I didn't realize it was removed in broken condition and I sold my parts pig. I also noticed the base must have had threads stripped because there's a hole through the exterior.

I know there are reproductions of the original but I'm curious if there are any other ingenious options that one might retrofit? $350+ is a lot of clams so just curious if some has done something different. I'm not a purist so open to ideas.

I havent pulled all the parts out of boxes to study this. I'm curious if some pickup tailgate handle could be fitted as an alternative?

I saw that thread as well. Since I need the base and the handle I wondered if someone had found any other options that might be readily available at the local pull-a-part that could work.

A low budget fix I posted somewhere a while back was to fashion a wire extention from the linkage in the tail gate through a small hole I drilled in the recessed portion where the stock (broken) handle is. With a nut as the pull bead at the end it worked well till a fresh handle came my way. Would still be useing it had it been nessarry. Barely noticeable to the untrained eye.
Your Farmer Fixer
Eric

Both of my parts have issues. If you have a base you’ll part with, let me know what you want and I’m interested.
The
Are you saying your movable part is in good shape but the fixed base is junk?

I might be able to help you out. I think I've got a good base but a broken arm on one of mine ;)

Merry Christmas to me!

I've been at this project long enough I can't remember things. I opened one of my parts boxes with tailgate parts and I have a perfectly good handle assembly. No need for alternatives. I wished I could remember where all the other tailgate parts are. 🤪. And better yet, how it all goes back togethe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom