Tail Lights - Share photos Please - DMV troubles with Tail Lights and reflectors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Tried to take my Prado through the DMV for inspection last Friday and got denied because my taillights "do not emit any lights from the side".. or so someone at the DMV argues.
IMG_1015.JPG
IMG_1038.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG

From Delaware's DMV site on reflector/side marker light requirements:
"Reflectors - All vehicles manufactured after 1953 must have at least two red reflectors on the rear, either separate or as part of taillight assembly (Motorcycles need only one). All passenger cars made after January 1, 1970 must have front and rear side marker lights as well as reflectors per Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). 2 amber reflectors and marker lights, one on each side as far to the front as practicable at least 15 inches from the ground and no more than 60 inches from the ground. 2 red reflectors and marker lights, one on each side as far to the rear as practicable at least 15 inches from the ground and no more than 60 inches from the ground. All reflectors and marker lights must be a minimum of 4 square inches."

I've been searching for pictures of OEM taillights and other options, but can't find any at all.

Can some of you share some photos of your tail lights at night from the back and from the side?

Since the taillights on my Prado are aftermarket, I'm wondering if the oem ones will meet the requirements.. If not, my other option is to install marker lights on both sides in the rear like the 80's have:

IMG_1030.jpg

Also going to try going to go to another DMV, the employee I dealt with was pretty negative straight off the bat.

Also got knocked on having no reflectors in the head light corner lamps... Plan is to just stick on these reflectors with an adhesive tape and remove after inspection.. Though, I wouldn't mind having corner lamps with reflectors. No options out there available however
IMG_1034.JPG

Just one of the many joys of bringing a non-US spec car into the country. Sounds like your idea of attaching front and rear reflectors with double sticky tape is only part of the solution as you still need powered lights on the sides too. If you could pop a couple holes in the plastic bumper covers maybe something like this will work.

Just one of the many joys of bringing a non-US spec car into the country. Sounds like your idea of attaching front and rear reflectors with double sticky tape is only part of the solution as you still need powered lights on the sides too. If you could pop a couple holes in the plastic bumper covers maybe something like this will work.

Yep. Only the front amber side reflector's would be put on using 3m double sided tape. The rears I would do legit, and use oem 80 side marker lights like these:
93 - 97 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FZJ80 REAR LH + RH SIDE MARKER LIGHT SET OEM NEW 304626141957 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/164514921549?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1GQXhFXsMR4qp6OD0dxDL9w72&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=164514921549&targetid=1644837434363&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=1014927&poi=&campaignid=16743749222&mkgroupid=138744546207&rlsatarget=pla-1644837434363&abcId=9300842&merchantid=6390954&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6rCgBhDVARIsAK1kGPLW2QDkSrJwl5iPVi5DZOiOkewe4sU015nA0Axf1wVteb4V7DqGHcQaAk8dEALw_wcB

But, Would love to see a couple side angle shots of oem tails at night to see if they would satisfy the requirement.. Can't find a single photo of a Prado at night!

go to the other dmv office.
someone is power tripping you.
look at e350 vans then talk about rear lights shining sideways

go to the other dmv office.
someone is power tripping you.
look at e350 vans then talk about rear lights shining sideways
I thought the same thing. Going to stick reflectors on and try another location tomorrow.

Just a heads up, Superbright has the slowest shipping on the planet. I will never buy from them again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom