Tacoma to the Stable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been wanting a 1st gen taco or minitruck lately, especially since the demise of the 80's motor, but the wife is firmly against it. I used to rock a 1984 longbed ratsnest and would love to have it back (though it's probably rusted back into the earth by now).

Same as you, "truck stuff" and great for solo camping as well.

I have both ... had T100 sold it after I bought my LC. Then inherited my father's Tacoma. Biggest issue is the batteries going dead as I commute on a bike when the weather is good. And my spouse walks. None of our vehicles (06, 13, and a 15) have over 50k miles on them.

So I know this is the 200 forum.

But toying with the idea of adding a Tacoma to the stable (as the title would suggest), as a spare vehicle. Wife doesn't want a full sized truck.

We have 5 people in the fam and seems like we constantly are short a vehicle even though we have 5 vehicles, kids fly in from school and leave their car at school, car in the shop, or other issues.

There are somethings you can do with a truck that you can't with a 200, or would rather not. For instance:
1. Truck things, moving dirt or rocks for wife's garden;
2. Loan the vehicle to someone (kid or wife), OK so maybe I am a little possessive of my LC;
3. Put a skunk shot dog in the back, yes that did happen but fortunately was in my Dad's LC not mine;
4. Stack stuff up to take to the dump/recycle;
5. Ect....

Just wondering how many of you have both a 200 and a Tacoma and your thoughts as to the combination.

Apologies if this doesn't belong here.
A new Tacoma is on my short list for a kids car for all of the reasons you mentioned. I drove a Tundra prior to my LC and I miss it about twice a year for hauling duties. To accomodate my hualing needs I realized for about $50 I could rent a trailer for a full day and have someone else store it.

Love my 2007 Access Cab as an addition to my 2008 200 series. It’s a 4.0 6 speed manual, and now has 203k miles on it and It has been every bit as trouble free as the 200. It’s due for a front bumper refresh, but other than that it’s in good shape. I had a 2011 Double Cab with a Long Bed and an Auto and hated it. The Auto was boring to drive and it was ridiculously long. With the gripes people have about the 3rd Gens, I’d look out for a 6 speed 2nd Gen if you can find a well kept example
4F2CD264-24D9-4BDC-B120-956E21600BC7.jpeg

So I know this is the 200 forum.

But toying with the idea of adding a Tacoma to the stable (as the title would suggest), as a spare vehicle. Wife doesn't want a full sized truck.

We have 5 people in the fam and seems like we constantly are short a vehicle even though we have 5 vehicles, kids fly in from school and leave their car at school, car in the shop, or other issues.

There are somethings you can do with a truck that you can't with a 200, or would rather not. For instance:
1. Truck things, moving dirt or rocks for wife's garden;
2. Loan the vehicle to someone (kid or wife), OK so maybe I am a little possessive of my LC;
3. Put a skunk shot dog in the back, yes that did happen but fortunately was in my Dad's LC not mine;
4. Stack stuff up to take to the dump/recycle;
5. Ect....

Just wondering how many of you have both a 200 and a Tacoma and your thoughts as to the combination.

Apologies if this doesn't belong here.
First: I can do all of that (and more) with a cheap utility trailer, and I'd argue it's the better tool for the job (outside of hauling the dog).

Second: I owned a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4, double cab, long bed, for 2.5 years and 75,000km. I put some $20-25k into mods and toys, wheeled it in snow, in Death Valley, commuted in it, etc.

- The Tacoma interior is tiny. Back seats are useless.
- It cannot get out of its own way. I've had soccer moms blow past me in Highlanders while I was pedal to the floor, trying to go up a hill on a highway.
- Quality is very poor. Endless issues, from leaking third brake lights, to leaking cab vents, to whining differentials, to vibrating hoods, to horrible shifting, to constantly turning-off head units, so on and so on.
- Payload is a joke.
- Real world fuel efficiency is nearly identical to the Tundra. I've gotten better fuel economy in my LX over the same roads that I drove in the Tacoma.

The Tacoma will be a fine option for a senior that needs a vehicle once per week to pick up a single sheet of plywood for his birdhouse-manufacturing hobby. Outside of that, it's absolutely pointless.

If you have to have a truck bed, buy a Tundra; it'll be 10x the vehicle.

Last edited:
I would put the Nissan Frontier at the TOP of your list over any of the other midsize trucks. I would rank them 1) Frontier 2) Ranger 3) Tacoma 4) Colorado/Canyon. It’s been about 2 years since the new model has been released and there haven’t been any large glaring issues. Everyone raves about the 3.8L NA V6 with 9spd transmission and even more compliments about the comfort of the seats and seating position. Those are the two biggest complaints about the Tacoma whereas those two areas seem to be the biggest positives with the Frontier. The only negative I’ve seen about the Frontier is the location of the rear locking diff switch/button which is a minor complaint if any. To put it lightly, there’s no reason to buy a 3rd gen Tacoma when the Frontier is better in pretty much every way except aftermarket support.

Watching this as an older Tacoma has been on my mind recently..

I have a 3/4 ton for real truck stuff. I think I want a Tacoma for the smaller daily duties. But I’ve never been overly impressed with them when I get in it

I would put the Nissan Frontier at the TOP of your list over any of the other midsize trucks. I would rank them 1) Frontier 2) Ranger 3) Tacoma 4) Colorado/Canyon. It’s been about 2 years since the new model has been released and there haven’t been any large glaring issues. Everyone raves about the 3.8L NA V6 with 9spd transmission and even more compliments about the comfort of the seats and seating position. Those are the two biggest complaints about the Tacoma whereas those two areas seem to be the biggest positives with the Frontier. The only negative I’ve seen about the Frontier is the location of the rear locking diff switch/button which is a minor complaint if any. To put it lightly, there’s no reason to buy a 3rd gen Tacoma when the Frontier is better in pretty much every way except aftermarket support.

If I wanted a mid-size truck it’d be a Pro 4X hands down.

Good write up. I can't imagine that the diff locker switch could be a deal breaker.

Lots of good advice and thoughts.

@Gazziza I am kind of hesitant to buy a Nissan. Scotty doesn't like them ya know.
Ford's I have had good luck with them but the Ranger, like the Tacoma, is due for a overhaul.
Next is Toyota on your list.

Still gathering information. Keep em coming.

For YOUR needs, how about the Honda Ridgeline? More practical than everything you listed…the “trunk” is genius. Safest. GREAT ride comfort! Good mileage. Honda reliability. Disc rear brakes. :D

It is the most practical urban utility vehicle that you can buy.

Recent side crash tests…Tacoma did not do well: Most small pickups earn passing grades in new side test - https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/most-small-pickups-earn-passing-grades-in-new-side-test

We have found our Ridgeline to be the perfect city vehicle. Towing? Long distance? Off-road? Those are LC duties.

I’m in the boat where the mid-size truck segment (Tacoma) has too many compromises to be practical. If you want a truck, buy a full size truck (tundra) with the longest bed to make full use of what a truck does. Do you know how many items you buy from a store that are 6 feet and a few inches in length? It’s nice to be able to throw them in the back and still be able to close the tailgate. It’s also great to be able to make bigger dump runs to be more efficient with your time. If you are buying a tundra, I really like the 2nd gen double cabs since the back seat is big enough to comfortably haul people (3rd gen drastically decreased the 2nd row leg room in the double cab since they extended the hood to make room for the twin turbos). Plus the 2nd gen has the best turning radius in its class where you can easily make relatively tight turns with it. (Can’t say that for the 3rd gens)

Last edited:
Lots of good advice and thoughts.

@Gazziza I am kind of hesitant to buy a Nissan. Scotty doesn't like them ya know.
Ford's I have had good luck with them but the Ranger, like the Tacoma, is due for a overhaul.
Next is Toyota on your list.

Still gathering information. Keep em coming.

Who cares what Scotty says…? I’m not sure I put that much value into what that guy blabbers on about. He might hate Nissan because of their cars like the Pathfinder, Rogue, Altima, Sentra etc etc but Nissan makes good trucks. The Frontier is the newest truck of all the midsize ones and in 2023 both Ford and GM will release their new midsize trucks. The next gen Tacoma won’t come until 2024 and if the release of the 22’ Tundra tells you anything then you know the 24’ Tacoma will be ugly and underwhelming. If you want the simplicity of a NA V6 truck then the Frontier will be the only one available as all the other mfgs are doing turbos. The previous Frontier ran for like 16 years and was an extremely reliable truck so I don’t see a reason to be hesitant on the Nissan Frontier platform. Plus you can probably get a decent deal on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom