Tacoma questions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I'm looking to buy a 98ish taco for my daily driver and mild trail rig. I'm wondering what i should look for and some price ranges. I want an extra cab with the v6 and 5 speed. How will this be on a 2 hour drive every weekend. Right now i am dd a 86 cruiser and I can't be driving 2 hours each day with gas how it is now, so what kind of mileage are some people getting with 33's. Any help would be great thanks.

cruiser60 said:
Hi I'm looking to buy a 98ish taco for my daily driver and mild trail rig. I'm wondering what i should look for and some price ranges. I want an extra cab with the v6 and 5 speed. How will this be on a 2 hour drive every weekend. Right now i am dd a 86 cruiser and I can't be driving 2 hours each day with gas how it is now, so what kind of mileage are some people getting with 33's. Any help would be great thanks.

IMO, look for the 22re motor and not the 3.Sloooowwwww. I've heard guys using stock gears and 33s with no problem. We have a guy in our club with the same setup and goes everywhere with a rear locker.

Not sure where you are, but one just what you are looking for with the 22re is up for sale for 7K

HTH

82Trekker said:
IMO, look for the 22re motor and not the 3.Sloooowwwww. ...

I assume your referring to a 3.0 (thus the slow ;)), but any Tacoma should have either the 4 cyl or the 3.4 V6 which is a world ahead of the 3.0. Having driven both on regular occasion, I prefer the 3.4 hands down...

I have a 96' ExCab Tacoma, V6 5 speed... I have 32's and am a fairly agressive driver... I get between 17-19mpg.

82Trekker said:
IMO, look for the 22re motor and not the 3.Sloooowwwww. I've heard guys using stock gears and 33s with no problem. We have a guy in our club with the same setup and goes everywhere with a rear locker.

Not sure where you are, but one just what you are looking for with the 22re is up for sale for 7K

HTH

22re was discontinued in the trucks in 95, replaced w/ the 3rz in 95.5.
3vze was discontinued in 95, replaced with the 5vze in 95.5.

Correction...

22re(2.4l) was discontinued in 95 but was replaced with the 2rz(2.4l/140hp) which was offered in the base 4x4 reg cabs. Also in 95.5 they now offered the 3rz(2.7l/150hp) and 5vze(3.4l/190hp).

:doh: Okay, that was my IGNANT post of the day. :flipoff2:

Thanks for the education boys, I've just heard from the Taco guys I know to get the 4banger and wrongly assumed it was the beloved 22re

Note made. :beer:

so if i get a taco thats a 95 or older i can get a 22re, and if I get one thats a 96 or younger I should just get the 4 banger. Is the 4 banger really better suited for 33's than the v6

cruiser60 said:
so if i get a taco thats a 95 or older i can get a 22re, and if I get one thats a 96 or younger I should just get the 4 banger. Is the 4 banger really better suited for 33's than the v6

No, no, no...

There is no Pre-95' Tacoma, it would just be a mini-truck... The Tacoma has ALOT of improvments over the earlier trucks.

I am a 100% fan of the V6 Tacoma, I have driven both the V6 and the 4 cyl on a regular basis, and hands down go with the V6, not a comparison in my mind.

I have a 96 EXT Cab 4x4 4banger w/ 300K miles. Still running strong and haven't replaced a single part.

Jford.

jford said:
I have a 96 EXT Cab 4x4 4banger w/ 300K miles. Still running strong and haven't replaced a single part.

Jford.

Both motors are extremely reliable, my main comparison was based on the power of the two motors... The 4 cylinder seems to move the truck around fine, that is until you drive the V6 :D;)

Ok I didn't know where to ask this. but couldn't the first gen Tundra be just as capable as the new 3rd gen Tacoma? they have basically caught up in size? and the tundra offers a v8???? I cant find anything on this topic only 2014 articles which are out of date

I have an 2000 5speed v6, seats aren’t super comfortable for long drives, and easy swap is the 4runner limited seats with lumbar support.
Currently running 285/75/16s 32.8inches my mpg is would not apply due to the access armor, you will noticed a power loss running 33’s , slower acceleration and hills aren’t fun but I still get to the place I’m going.

^^^Fuergrissa, sounds like you and I have virtually the same rig and I hate my stock seats. I couldn't agree more with Kurt on the 3.4 V6. I daily commute mine and zero issues at 115,000 miles.

OP, if you are really interested in a 1st Gen Tacoma I suggest reading this first: 1st. Gen Tacoma Buyers Guide

(There's a similar thread here on mud but it is more focused on the 4rnr.)

Then go find a southern truck and check it for frame rot. Everything else on these trucks can be easily fixed. Good luck and happy hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom