Tacoma questions?

Discussion in 'Tacoma (Gen 1) - 4Runner (Gen 3)' started by cruiser60, Jul 18, 2005.

1. cruiser60

cruiser60

Hi I'm looking to buy a 98ish taco for my daily driver and mild trail rig. I'm wondering what i should look for and some price ranges. I want an extra cab with the v6 and 5 speed. How will this be on a 2 hour drive every weekend. Right now i am dd a 86 cruiser and I can't be driving 2 hours each day with gas how it is now, so what kind of mileage are some people getting with 33's. Any help would be great thanks.

2. JuttyShabango

JuttyShabango Checkers R Wreckers SILVER Star

IMO, look for the 22re motor and not the 3.Sloooowwwww. I've heard guys using stock gears and 33s with no problem. We have a guy in our club with the same setup and goes everywhere with a rear locker.

Not sure where you are, but one just what you are looking for with the 22re is up for sale for 7K

HTH

3. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

I assume your referring to a 3.0 (thus the slow ;)), but any Tacoma should have either the 4 cyl or the 3.4 V6 which is a world ahead of the 3.0. Having driven both on regular occasion, I prefer the 3.4 hands down...

I have a 96' ExCab Tacoma, V6 5 speed... I have 32's and am a fairly agressive driver... I get between 17-19mpg.

4. bkg

bkg

22re was discontinued in the trucks in 95, replaced w/ the 3rz in 95.5.
    3vze was discontinued in 95, replaced with the 5vze in 95.5.

5. ATLRoach

ATLRoach

Correction...

22re(2.4l) was discontinued in 95 but was replaced with the 2rz(2.4l/140hp) which was offered in the base 4x4 reg cabs. Also in 95.5 they now offered the 3rz(2.7l/150hp) and 5vze(3.4l/190hp).

6. JuttyShabango

JuttyShabango Checkers R Wreckers SILVER Star

:doh: Okay, that was my IGNANT post of the day. :flipoff2:

Thanks for the education boys, I've just heard from the Taco guys I know to get the 4banger and wrongly assumed it was the beloved 22re

Note made. :beer:

7. cruiser60

cruiser60

so if i get a taco thats a 95 or older i can get a 22re, and if I get one thats a 96 or younger I should just get the 4 banger. Is the 4 banger really better suited for 33's than the v6

8. cruiseroutfit

No, no, no...

There is no Pre-95' Tacoma, it would just be a mini-truck... The Tacoma has ALOT of improvments over the earlier trucks.

I am a 100% fan of the V6 Tacoma, I have driven both the V6 and the 4 cyl on a regular basis, and hands down go with the V6, not a comparison in my mind.

9. jford

jford

I have a 96 EXT Cab 4x4 4banger w/ 300K miles. Still running strong and haven't replaced a single part.

Jford.

10. cruiseroutfit

Both motors are extremely reliable, my main comparison was based on the power of the two motors... The 4 cylinder seems to move the truck around fine, that is until you drive the V6 :D;)

11. calamaridog

calamaridog

The 3.4 v6 is a wonderful motor. Plenty of power. Check the for sale section at www.tacomaterritory.com as there are always nice rigs for sale.

The 2.7 i4 is also a good motor but why settle?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.