TACOMA 2006 ,My problem is with 4wheel drive will lock in with light blinking , only in 4hi, no low , have to turn key off to get to shift out of gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, did anybody get their 4L issues fixed yet?
I put my truck in the shop today to fix the problem, and then recharge my A/C.

Well, the mechanic could not get the T case to reproduce my problem. In fact he told me to drive it more and try to get the problem acting up again.
He also very honestly told me that he did not want to sell me a part(actuator) if I didn't need it.
So I'm back to square one.

I got tired of my Tacoma's transfer case and all the BS it has put me through, so I swapped it out for an FJ Cruiser case.

I started having problems with the electric actuator several years ago and had to wire up a relay box because the computer refused to shift in & out of four wheel drive reliably.

The relay box still had problems, especially when it was very cold, and I am glad somebody showed me how to swap in a FJ transfer case, so

I put a little Cruiser in my Taco​

Original relay box I wired up
1620790515379.png

Twin sticks on the FJ Cruiser transfer case
1620790595584.png

So, this is going to sound crazy, but, get a seamstress tape measure and measure the circumference of each tire. We had one in the shop a few years back, new actuator, new blah,blah,blah.. Called our Toyota rep, first thing he asked was uneven tire wear or mismatch size tires. Wear was good, same brand, same size. He was due for a visit anyway so we checked circumference. TWO full inches difference in one tire. This changed the gearing front to rear enough that it had a hard time going into 4wd and dang near impossible to disengage. Tried a set of wheels and tires from a new truck and worked perfect. Worth a try maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom