Table Saw (Lipstick on a Pig) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, I believe I'm almost done 'upgrading' my old Craftsman Flex-Drive 10" table saw.

Upgraded the rip fence to a Vega and added extra table extensions (eBay).

20180502_122019.jpg

Finished up the outfeed table last week:

20190119_135111.jpg

Legs fold inward, and this allows the table to collapse, as space is limited in my basement shop.

20190119_140455.jpg

The saw is on a mobile base which will allow me to move it against the wall when not in use.

20180509_121720.jpg

Last (well maybe not the last) is the dust collection.

20190128_164831.jpg

I also added a new switch and power cord. I have other pics if there is interest in this thread...

Okay, I believe I'm almost done 'upgrading' my old Craftsman Flex-Drive 10" table saw.

Upgraded the rip fence to a Vega and added extra table extensions (eBay).

View attachment 1892805

Finished up the outfeed table last week:

View attachment 1892791

Legs fold inward, and this allows the table to collapse, as space is limited in my basement shop.

View attachment 1892793

The saw is on a mobile base which will allow me to move it against the wall when not in use.

View attachment 1892795

Last (well maybe not the last) is the dust collection.

View attachment 1892801

I also added a new switch and power cord. I have other pics if there is interest in this thread...
Hello and Thank you for sharing. I am about to add a Vega fence and make my own extension to a 1990's Craftsman! So yes, I am interested in seeing any additional pics / tips you can show.

Hello and Thank you for sharing. I am about to add a Vega fence and make my own extension to a 1990's Craftsman! So yes, I am interested in seeing any additional pics / tips you can show.
Here's a pic of the nearly completed upgrades. I've added a SharkGuard with upper dust collection. The saw is plumbed with 4" PVC that connects to my dust collector 'system' via 4" flex hose. You can see the new switch with the upgraded power cord (12ga).

20201030_140733.jpg

An out feed table makes a saw so much more pleasant and safe to use....without have to watch for a long piece tipping.

An out feed table makes a saw so much more pleasant and safe to use....without have to watch for a long piece tipping.
Adding the outfeed table was without a doubt, the most beneficial upgrade to this saw. Especially when working solo. I can push an 8' sheet of plywood through without it dropping. Or having to mess with those roller things. I may eventually construct a couple of adjustable sawhorse things to support large sheets of plywood on the infeed side.

Sidebar: how do you like the Dewalt DW735 planer? I think it's time for me to get one, but not sure I wanna go all the way with one of those. How do you catch the chips?

Sidebar: how do you like the Dewalt DW735 planer? I think it's time for me to get one, but not sure I wanna go all the way with one of those. How do you catch the chips?
I've been very happy with the DW735X. It's planed everything from oak to construction lumber without a whimper. The factory setup was spot on. I did make a few minor tweaks to the in/out feed tables, along with putting a good coat of wax on them. Noteworthy: Do no shift the planer speed unless the motor is running. The documentations says not to, and doing so, will potentially mess things up to a point the drive rollers will not work. For what I do, it's been a real workhorse. If you're looking to purchase one, keep an eye out for deals. Some deals will have the Dewalt base thrown in. You will want some sort of base for it, whether you fabricate one, or purchase one. Like I've posted, everything in my basement shop needs to be mobile, and the Dewalt base rolls easily. When I bought mine, I paid a bit over $500 for the DW735X (which has an extra set of blades), and then another $150 for the base. I probably have another $100 or so, into the separator/filter/connections.

Some time in the future, I will fab a planer sled for it. You can remove some cup on thicker boards (by taking multiple thin cuts), but on thinner stock the rollers put too much pressure on the piece. And you'll be frustrated trying to get twist out of any stock without a planer sled.

The DW735X has a built in blower that will really create a mess (think wood chipper mess) inside a shop. I HackFab'd a separator from a trashcan and aftermarket lid separator (Wood River, I think), 4" flex hose, clamps, and a PowerTec filter bag. It's on a wheeled barrel dolly that can be moved around my basement shop. I may eventually connect the trashcan separator to my dust collection system. But, it's pretty convenient as is, and it will produce a lot of chips. So I don't want to directly connect the planer to the dust collector without having an intermediate separator. Or I'd be constantly emptying my 30 gallon dust collector drum. Pic of my 'souped up' Harbor Freight dust collector.

20190324_131156.jpg

You also need to be cognizant of the chip level in the can, as going past 3/4 full, will cause the filter bag to fill up (ditto the dust collector system). The filter bag, is a real PITA to clean out, as there is no zipper to open the bag. So, you must vacuum it out from the inlet end of the bag. Along with the fact, the pressure from the blower (as the trashcan get's past 1/2 full), will cause the lid to lift, and fine sawdust to puke around the edges. If everything is functioning correctly, I capture +95% of the sawdust/chips. Which is pretty darn good IMHO.

20181025_164900.jpg

I also have a PowerTec air filtration system for the airborne fine dust:

20190406_145255.jpg

I upgrade the outer filter to a Merv 8, and change it out every couple of months. It does a great job, considering all the dust (both man made and cat made) in my basement.

Nice wood shop!!
Thanks! It's getting there. I've been engaged in a never ending pursuit to eliminate as much of the dust (saw, sanding, and other) as possible. I somewhat 'tamed' my power miter box with an enclosure:

20200414_150644.jpg

I still get some random sawdust but at least (now), it's mostly contained. And not blowing all over the shop/basement. I have a few more tweaks to make to it, but it's a vast improvement over what it was.

Dust collection I added to my 6" Craftsman jointer.

20190305_101936.jpg

I've re-worked the base similar to what's under the miter saw. But re-used the casters. Look in the background of the miter saw pic. Those Bora base kits are pricey (although good quality), especially when you have to purchase two to get four casters.

Next up is to tackle dust collection on my 14" Harbor Freight bandsaw. This tool spews fine dust everywhere...

I've been very happy with the DW735X...

That is very helpful, thank you! I have watched pretty much all the YouTube videos I can find on this planer, and they all agree that containing the chips is a challenge. I am restricted on space, all my larger tools are in the garage. I really don't want anything in the basement like this, because of the dust, even though it is unfinished. A lot of times I will try to move really dusty jobs out into the driveway or back yard; sanding, grinding, routing, etc, then I just blow the mess away with the leaf blower. I just don't have room for a decent dust collector (nice job on that one!), so for now I have the smaller Dust Deputy on a 5 gal bucket, and a shop vac. But I know there's no way it could handle the output from that planer. I may steal your idea on that chip containment. I'm keeping an eye on Amazon, hoping it will be a Hot Deal for the holidays.

My table saw is an old Ryobi BT3000 that I have really used a lot, especially recently. It's fine for general use, especially trim and construction, but I've kinda hit the limit of it's precision on a few projects, like the flag cases I made in May:

IMG_20200608_104244.jpg

So I'm looking hard at the SawStop Contractor saw, I think it might be a retirement present to myself next May. I had one of the cabinet saws in the shop I used to manage, and I loved it.

Funny, I actually had one of those Dewalt miter saw stands, and really hated it. It wobbled all the time, and the cut stop device was pretty hokey. I gave it away, now I have an old stand that TracRac used to make (they stopped making them) and it's a much better stand.

Funny, I actually had one of those Dewalt miter saw stands, and really hated it. It wobbled all the time, and the cut stop device was pretty hokey.
Mine doesn't wobble very much, however the saw isn't transported to job sites. Which might cause a lot of the springball locks to loosen over time. I designed the dust hood, so it can all be taken apart, but I'll probably buy another power miter saw, if I need to go 'on location'.

You are correct: The cut stops are pretty much useless. At least from an accuracy point. They'll get you 'in the ball park', so to speak. But I do like the extendable arms. They really helped when I was cutting 16' baseboard trim. I've got a couple design ideas for stops, and I might try them, when I have the time.

My table saw is an old Ryobi BT3000 that I have really used a lot, especially recently. It's fine for general use, especially trim and construction, but I've kinda hit the limit of it's precision on a few projects, like the flag cases I made in May.
Those flag presentation cases look great! I need to make a presentation case for a 1911 that's going to my son.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom