T-case work without removing tranny from vehicle. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I did trany swap(H41 -> H55F) and T-case rebuild at May 2005.
But I did a mistake when reassembling t-case that it can't operate as 4WD mode.
Only operates 2wd high and low.
I suppose the point which I did mistake is front drive cluth hub and sleev.
I'd removed front shaft to change bearing.
Mine is non-usa FJ62 with manual trany with vacuum shift that has 4wd lamp at dash but it's always on without pressing button.
Front shaft rounds freely with or without pressing 4wd button.
My guess is, clutch sleev can't move front and back freely and it always on the hub that front shaft can't operate with clutch hub.
Anyway, to solve this problem, I plan t-case work.
I have a few experience about removing trany/t-case work such as clutch job but it's very heavy work that I'm considering about t-case work on vehicle.
I don't have trany jack now that must doing work without proper equipment so I'm thinking like this.

'Without removing trany/t-case, removing rear drive shaft and disassmble t-case and doing work.'
It's my scenario
Are there any member who have experience about this ? Is it possible and enough plan ?
If yes, could you please share technique and experience with me ?
Any kind of suggestion is WELCOME.

Oh, Min Seok

Yes, you can do the work on your t-case while it is on the truck, no problem. However, before you take apart your t-case, I would check a few things:

1) check the vacuum solenoids on the firewall in the engine comparrtment
2) check the 4wd switch on the dash
3) check the vacuum switch on the t-case: you can remove the whole vacuum-operated unit from the t-case without taking the rest of the t-case apart.
4) check the 4wd indicator plug (take it out and see if you can get into 4wd; sometimes they are in too tight).

I don't how it could be the front hub/sleeve--they can only go in one way...

Tim
88 fj62 TLCA

I disassembled t-case on vehicle and found I did a mistake at previous work.
I installed 4wd engage fork which holds sleeve to the reverse direction.
After assemble to correct direction, it works well.
Thank you,

Oh, Min Seok

schaats said:

This describes many of my projects. Good news is that by the second time I usually do a much better job!

schaats said:
I installed 4wd engage fork which holds sleeve to the reverse direction.
After assemble to correct direction, it works well.
Thank you,

Oh, Min Seok

Weird-I don't understand how you could do that. As was said above, it only goes one way. It's easy, on the other hand, to install the shifter mechanism incorrectly and not engage the shifter fork shaft . Is that what happened?

Anyway, glad you got it figured out. Good times ahead.

Cruiserdrew said:
Weird-I don't understand how you could do that. As was said above, it only goes one way. It's easy, on the other hand, to install the shifter mechanism incorrectly and not engage the shifter fork shaft . Is that what happened?

Anyway, glad you got it figured out. Good times ahead.

You can see the fork which holds clutch sleeve from attached photo.
I'd installed fork as this direction that fork couldn't move to front shaft when vacuum diapharam pulls because 4wd switch was interfering.
What happened ? Nothing, just 4wd didn't engaged :)

Oh, Min Seok

DSCF2197.jpg

Last edited:
lovetoski said:
This describes many of my projects. Good news is that by the second time I usually do a much better job!

I'm absolutely agree with you :D

schaats said:
You can see the fork which holds clutch sleeve from attached photo.
I'd installed fork as this direction that fork couldn't move to front shaft when vacuum diapharam pulls because 4wd switch was interfering.
What happened ? Nothing, just 4wd didn't engaged :)

Oh, Min Seok

Now I understand-you took the fork off the shaft, so it would be possible to get it in backwards. As I said, glad you got it figured out.

Cruiserdrew said:
Now I understand-you took the fork off the shaft, so it would be possible to get it in backwards. As I said, glad you got it figured out.

Thank you very much :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom