T-case with VC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rick,

Actually, they haven't "balanced" themselves if they've literally not been rotated for 60K (are you positive about this?). The fronts have worn more (more work and slippage due to turning function) and are smaller in diameter since they started at the same diameter. I would be very curious if you have the time, if you could measure them as best you can. This assumes you've literally owned the rig since the tires were put on and they've never been rotated even by a shop during brake work or the like. Would be a curious data point.

My prediction is that you're warming your VC due to different f/r axle rotations if so. What will this do to VC life? Possibly nothing if it doesn't heat to a threshold that causes a chemical change in the fluid - those things are quite stout.

At any rate, sounds like whatever tire you've got on there is a pretty good wear candidate!

Doug

Hi all,
I'm looking to find on of those pesky viscous couplers that is either no longer needed or has been burnt up. If anyone has one that I could get a hold of I would greatly appreciate it. I'm in Southern California. Thanks.

Rich

Doug,

I've owned the truck since 38k, put the tires on at 58k and now have 120k. To my knowledge the tires are right where they were even though they have been removed for servicing purposes.

I'll try and take measurements tomorrow and get back to you. When turning I thought the power was biased towards the tire that provided the most forward movement in a single rotation. That would be the rear inside tire as the other three have to travel farther in the turn and because they are catching up to the inside tire power is loss in the diffs on those wheels in that process.

Actually, I believe the VC does not change the power split from f/r, it only allows for f/r driveshaft speed differences while continuing to transfer torque at 50%/50%. You're correct that the inside rear tire moves the least, while the outside front moves the most. At the axle level, torque is again split 50/50, but the gears of the diffy provide for different axle speeds.

Once slippage occurs, things change. But that's how it goes in everyday driving. Thanks in advance for offering to measure - could be interesting, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom