T-case oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My t-case has 11000 mi on it. It was new last sumer. I drained it and got 1.7 liters. The service manual and owners manual calls for 1.3 liters w/ABS 1.7 with out ABS. I have ABS. I added 1.3 liters and it was not full. With 1.7 liters its full. What gives?

The oil came out black. I put in Mobil1 75/90 gear oil when new. I wounder why it came out so bleck with only 11000mi?
kurt

I don't know why it was black-maybe the t case was coated with anti-corrosion oil at the factory. Next time you drain, you'll know! My guess is, it will clear over a change or two. My T case oil still looks brand new when drained-I use Mobil 1 gear in that application too. The proper amount is 1.7 L. Just fill to the bottom of the fill hole and don't sweat it. What happened to your original transfer case?

The very $$$ viscous coupler went bad. It would heat up and lock up at hwy speed. Then I had a locked t-case. When I turned the drive train would bind up. When it cooled down it would unlock. The vc has a fluid that when it heats up it turns to a solid, which locks up the t-case. I don't know if the heat was caused from the vc or if a bearing next to it was heating up. The bearing were worn but not burnt. I got the 80 last year. It went out shortly after I got it. I think either 1, the last owner towed the 80 with a tow dolly and burned up the vc. 2. Ran tires that were not all the same diameter. or 3, The T-case with vc are prone to go bad, UPS killed the fisrt one and the dealer had to do a search as the t-case with vc as were on back order. That must mean that they sell a lot of them. The non vc were not on back order.
kurt
kurt

Never relised that the 80 Series had a Viscous Coupling for the Center Diff.

The Reccomended Oil for the Front Diff, Gearbox and Tranfercase is Hypoid SAE90. And the Reccomended Oil for the Rear Diff is LS90.

Not on the 80 series. The reccomended transfer case oil is 75w-90. The transmission takes atf, at least in the USA where all we can get is automatics.

Everyone seems to call it a Viscous Coupler, Toyota calls it a Control Coupler. There are many styles of couplers out there from solid, viscous and torque limiting to name a few. This is not what I'd expect as a viscous coupler as in a set of plates submerged in an oil bath where drive transfers to the coupled shaft from a difference in rotation speed. This would almost work against the ABS I'd think. It also appears to be self contained and rather small for that type of purpose. I haven't seen one up close but would think it is more of a torque limiting style where some drive is applied through the coupler but in a limited amount and should not lock. The ones of this style I've seen contain an iron filing type material that creates drag between the shafts to transfer some of the torque but not all. I'd be interested in hearing if anybody has taken one apart as to what is inside. Just curious since I first heard about them being in there.

Landtoy80, did you frequent the Acme board? I remeber a guy over there that had the same experience.

Yes it was me the Acme board. I have the t-case apart and the vc is a sealed unit. It can be removed and the t-case will work like a open diff. I don't know if any damage will though. I will check out the vc when I get time and report on it.
kurt

In my Farthers FZJ80R it has a Center Diff Lock and an Automatic Transmissiona was not an option, Even front and rear Diff Locks were'nt an option. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom