Synthetic fairlead on an ARB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ARB says there is no way to run a synthetic fairlead on their winch bumper. ??? Why is that, we are in 2004 right? :flipoff2:

I say, just make your own. :D

I'll post some closer up shots when I get the chance. I ended up hacking off the front shelf that normally serves as the mount for the obsolete :p roller fairleads and machined this out of 1-1/2" UHMW. Counter sunk the hex bolts by 1/2" and got 1" longer bolts for the 4 holes.

DSC_0133.JPG

DSC_0139.JPG

Only used it once this weekend, but so far I'm digging it. I can't count how may times I've banged that little shelf into rocks any way. As far as support goes, the ARB will be retrofitted with some cross tubing in the front. The ARB is only a temporary thing as I've run out of desire to continue with the custom front bumper for now. I need to wheel this season and will deal with other things like front bumpers during the offseason.

Thanks. It's tough to find, but I found a guy in my area that routinely has drops of about 26x18x1-1/2". That stuff is expensive junk.

Just last year Warn said they do not recommend synth rope on their winches. Now they sell their own synth rope. I bet in a few years we see every winch sold with it allready installed. ARB will figure it out sooner or later and update their design when enough people demand it.

Junk,

If I understand correctly, they make a UHMW Hawse that you can buy for about $25.00 for your winch which I think would have saved you $$$$$ and work.

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/welcome.htm
Or do a google for hawes UHMW.

I bought three of them about 6 months ago. If you are looking for a UHMW roller fairlead then I don't know if or why they would exist.

Bill

Chris - yeah, I agree. They will eventually realize that to keep market share, they'll have to give the folks what they want.

Photo - I had/have a Sky fairlead on my rear winch. They suck. For the rear, the mounting points are ok, but it gets deformed with only 3/4". At first I thought maybe it was only me, but after talking to a synth rope supplier, they said the same thing. It's gotta be more than 3/4". Just as important, or even more so to me, is look at the mounting pattern on the front bumper. The slots for the ARB don't align with the design from Sky. What I did was make the rope slot bigger (better angle for pull) and positioned it so I could use the winch mount bolts. I'll take this mount over Sky any day.

If what they had was acceptable, I'd use it, but it's not. I now have a bunch of this stuff laying around, so will be making more and will make some for the rear too. :D :princess:

Mike,

Which synth rope are you using. Most or all of the ones I have seen are not recommended for winches with a capacity higher than 9500 lbs, including the one in the Warn website.

Looks good Junk. Another source for UHMW is Mcmastercarr.com. They have several thickness and grade of this stuff.

Ali

Ale, don't buy that crap from Warn.

I've run a few different ones now and so far I like this blue amsteel the best I think. I got it only with the retaining clip and the eyelet on the end since the hooks are only one more failure point, most of the hooks suck, and we usually go eyelet to shackle anyway. If you're interested, hit me with an email or PM and I'll send you info on where I got it.

Ali - McMaster Carr sucks. Plus they don't have it in the right dimensions.

Bjowett - yeah, I just went to some machinist sites and got info on milling it out. Hardest part is clamping it since it's so slippery. Best thing to do is get the holes in it first then get some bolts on it to keep it where you need it.

Junk, If one did not want to hack off the shelf, could the fairlead plate still be securely attached?

I was not planning on getting the synth rope from Warn I was just looking around to see what the specs on them were!

Anyway, I just sent you a PM

krich, yeah, you could make it fit. I have some extra material around. PM me if you want to discuss it and are running synth cable.

Ale - got your PM, will reply later tonight - gotta run.

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=17265;start=msg167084#msg167084 date=1086060264]
ARB says there is no way to run a synthetic fairlead on their winch bumper. ??? Why is that, we are in 2004 right? :flipoff2:

I say, just make your own. :D

I'll post some closer up shots when I get the chance. I ended up hacking off the front shelf that normally serves as the mount for the obsolete :p roller fairleads and machined this out of 1-1/2" UHMW. Counter sunk the hex bolts by 1/2" and got 1" longer bolts for the 4 holes.

DSC_0133.JPG

DSC_0139.JPG

Only used it once this weekend, but so far I'm digging it. I can't count how may times I've banged that little shelf into rocks any way. As far as support goes, the ARB will be retrofitted with some cross tubing in the front. The ARB is only a temporary thing as I've run out of desire to continue with the custom front bumper for now. I need to wheel this season and will deal with other things like front bumpers during the offseason.
[/quote]

Oh are those the pictures of the rock ledge you never climbed?:princess: Yes I think it is. :p I made it up and completed that trail. :D

Yes it is Wench, but you are still the :princess: :flipoff2:

Thanks for chewing up the trail. :p What you did at the top of it was pretty cool.

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=17265;start=msg167587#msg167587 date=1086140203]
Yes it is Wench, but you are still the :princess: :flipoff2:

Thanks for chewing up the trail. :p What you did at the top of it was pretty cool.
[/quote]
Your welcome! :D
Yes I could not believe I made it up that! I don't care what John H says. I had fun.

[quote author=Wrench link=board=2;threadid=17265;start=msg167605#msg167605 date=1086142664]
I had fun.
[/quote]

That's all that matters dude. If anyone gives you grief over it, just :flipoff2: . It's a hobby and is supposed to be fun. :cheers:

I likey the UHMW. I've been thinking about this problem ever since I got my ARB winch mount bar. I still haven't bought my winch, waiting for $$$, but I HATE steel cable. I bet I can find some UHMW at the local boat place - they use it on trailers, launch ramps, and to protect hulls...

If I understand the mounting correctly, are the same bolts that mount the fairlead the ones that mount the winch? If that is the case, are you concered about how securely the winch is mounted with that big "plastic bushing" in the middle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom