Swapping transmission/ separate TCase, or drop/install in one piece? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some helpful hints on best methods for swapping a trans. I have a 3 ton jack, and a trans jack. Please advise on best way to accomplish the process to prevent injury to the parts, and me of course. This is my first attempt at swapping a trans. I do have a perfect record on a solo engine swap, so that gives me confidence.

Is it easier to separate the Tcase, drop the case and trans separately, and reinstall the same way, or in one piece? Finally found a low mileage A343f and will be tackling this over the coming weekend.

Thanks for any advice.

I’ve pulled the t-case by itself, and it was pretty awkward and quite a challenge to mate up. I also don’t think the t-case is supported apart from the transmission. So I think you’ll need to pull them together.

I'm in the same boat, got my hands on what looks like a clean used trans, plan is to just swap it in and hope it works. I'll share what I come up with as well.

Thanks for any insight.

I'd remove the t-case first. Like @Bisho said, it's heavy and very awkward. I used a specific transmission jack which made getting it out and down much easier, but I would imagine doing with the trans attached would be very cumbersome. The weight on the trans and case would be a lot on the jack.

Pulling the t-case only takes an hour or so once you know what you're doing. A buddy is a big help, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom