Swamper TSL's ; Radials or no Radials (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A recent post by "kling-on" of his sweet new lift and tires has me wondering about my next tire upgrade. I'm retiring some faithful BFG 35" Mud's this weekend and was going to get 36" TSL Swampers. My 78 FJ-40 is not a daily driver, but does see road action once or twice a week and for 7hr drives to Moab :D a couple time a year. Anybody got advice on whether the Radial TSL's are worth the extra $30 per tire in tread life and road noise vs. the non radial TSL's?

Scott
78 FJ-40 "Rudy"

TSL .... no way JUNK roll like a square peg
radial great for 50/50 they have weak sidewalls
SX for 80/20 BLING BLING and they ride great too

p.s. i wanted 36125015 sx's but i couldn't clear-em so i went with these

Wow :eek: sounds like I have some re-thinking to do about buying non-radial TSL's if I plan to drive on road a bit. My gas mileage is bad enough with BFG Muds, "square pegs" will certainly be worse! Thanks for the input,

Scott
78 FJ-40 "Rudy"

I have TSL radials. Very very very happy with them. They ride as well as I would expect even an A/T to ride on the highway, as fast as the cruiser will go. Offroad the difference is amazing, compared to the worn out A/T's I had before. I DD these tires, however I live across the street from my school.
A buddy of mine just picked up a set of Trxus M/T's today, they seem to be about as aggressive as my TSL's, but I do not have any experience with them yet.

Appreciate the Input,

I see Super Swamper has a 37x12.50x15 Radial SSR that looks sweet too...I just gotta decide if saving an extra $35 a tire on 36" TSL's vs. 37" SSR's is worth it?

I was runnning the 37" TSl Radials on my 92 cruiser and i didn't have any gripes about them other than they suck in the snow and ice, got decent mileage out of them, but i've upgraded to MTRs and love em, Brad.

[quote author=kling-on link=board=1;threadid=7813;start=msg65717#msg65717 date=1069355896]
TSL .... no way JUNK roll like a square peg
radial great for 50/50 they have weak sidewalls
SX for 80/20 BLING BLING and they ride great too

p.s. i wanted 36125015 sx's but i couldn't clear-em so i went with these
[/quote]

I have both radials and bias plys. I run 36x12.5 TSL radials on my 60 and 34x10.5 LTB's on my 40. 40 is my driver. After a cold night, the LTB's will flat spot, which makes for an interesting first few minutes of my "commute", but after 2 or 3 miles, they flatten out and ride quite nicely. Actually surprisingly so.

The radials on my 60 are awesome. They balanced easily and ride great. Load capacity is high and they aren't as loud as you might expect them to be.

I had 36x12.5 bias ply tsl's on my last 40. They were great tires, but man, if i ran them at anything higher that 12 pounds, i could feel cigarette butts when I ran over them. And they were LOUD.

For my money I'd go with the radials.

Rob

The advice has been good...I just made the decision final and ordered a set of 37x12.50x15 Swamper SSR Radials. They are more pricey than the TSL's, but will hopefully deliver decent road manners and good wheelin both...or I sure hope so since I'm out about a grand :doh: Thanks to those who gave feedback.

Scott
78 FJ-40 "Rudy"
TLCA # 12711

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom