Suspension planning... Looking for GX experience with mid-to-higher end products (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Funny thing, my DS one puked two weeks ago after 40k. I called my local shop for rebuilds, but they were out of the rebuild kits. Normally, cost to rebuilt includes removal fee ($100 a corner?) + rebuild fee ($100 each?) . I ended up buying a pair new from Off Road Warehouse for $160 ea. and getting my Youtube suspension degree to install it in the garage.
Icon themselves charges $75 for rebuild service, plus shipping. It's about $40 worth of parts and oil to DIY, plus maybe $10 for the nitrogen charge at a moto shop. It's honestly not that hard.

You should get the rebuild parts and give it a shot on your extra shocks.

Icon themselves charges $75 for rebuild service, plus shipping. It's about $40 worth of parts and oil to DIY, plus maybe $10 for the nitrogen charge at a moto shop. It's honestly not that hard.

You should get the rebuild parts and give it a shot on your extra shocks.
That's a great idea. At least with my new set, they came with a black rubber sleeve for the shaft. My older set didn't have that. I'm seeing another degree from YT University coming on...

That's a great idea. At least with my new set, they came with a black rubber sleeve for the shaft. My older set didn't have that. I'm seeing another degree from YT University coming on...
Great idea until you have 5 of these rebuild projects and never do them! I was saving my old LCAs to rebuild...never happened. I was saving my old stock oem wheels to plastidip and use with skinny tires....never happened. Got hockey pucks to insert inside my rear coils...didn’t get to it. Got aluminum bars to extend my rear bump stops....didn’t do it.

I’ve been working on my house building a triplex and too busy to work in the car

not too much to add here, I'm a new GX470 owner and bought one with recently installed Dobinson IMS. I think the suspension feels pretty good, all mine has is an Ironman front bumper though.

While the shocks may be Chinese built (I'd like to see some more proof on production), it's also possible they're built in Taiwan as well? Where alot of suspension companies are. Regardless, monotubes with not alot of features like this are fairly simple to make. If Dobinson specs descent seals, oil, shafts, and does good shock tuning - and the factory that makes the shocks has descent QC, then I'm not too fussed where they are made.

Dobinson also would likely sell parts as they say they have them at their disposal for rebuilds/revalves.

That said, if I was racing or doing serious desert stuff I'd be looking into something more tailored for that use. Race shock is not what I want on my daily driver though. I want long service intervals and high reliability.

not too much to add here, I'm a new GX470 owner and bought one with recently installed Dobinson IMS. I think the suspension feels pretty good, all mine has is an Ironman front bumper though.

While the shocks may be Chinese built (I'd like to see some more proof on production), it's also possible they're built in Taiwan as well? Where alot of suspension companies are. Regardless, monotubes with not alot of features like this are fairly simple to make. If Dobinson specs descent seals, oil, shafts, and does good shock tuning - and the factory that makes the shocks has descent QC, then I'm not too fussed where they are made.

Dobinson also would likely sell parts as they say they have them at their disposal for rebuilds/revalves.

That said, if I was racing or doing serious desert stuff I'd be looking into something more tailored for that use. Race shock is not what I want on my daily driver though. I want long service intervals and high reliability.

They have been Chinese built for quite a while now, longer than the brand has been available in America IIRC. I'm pretty sure we have never seen a Dobinsons shock imported that hasn't been made in China.

Screenshot_20210422-081426.png

Great idea until you have 5 of these rebuild projects and never do them! I was saving my old LCAs to rebuild...never happened. I was saving my old stock oem wheels to plastidip and use with skinny tires....never happened. Got hockey pucks to insert inside my rear coils...didn’t get to it. Got aluminum bars to extend my rear bump stops....didn’t do it.

I’ve been working on my house building a triplex and too busy to work in the car

Yeah... I have a few of them sitting around too...

At least for the shocks, it would be worth eventually rebuilding them and saving them for spares. Then when the next pair needs a rebuild just swap them out and repeat the process.

They have been Chinese built for quite a while now, longer than the brand has been available in America IIRC. I'm pretty sure we have never seen a Dobinsons shock imported that hasn't been made in China
So is the Lenovo Carbon X1 I'm typing on :D

Still seems like they import a reasonable amount of quality parts from external suppliers... in the end if it's put together well and lasts me 50-60k miles and then I can rebuild them, I'll be pleased. The damping quality of them is definitely descent and they don't have any weird noises or anything. For the money are definitely competitive in their features and options.
  • Complete suspension kit for 4x4 Off Road Use, fine tuned to match the vehicle
  • Fully re-buildable and re-valvable
  • vZero shock fade in all terrains with full load
  • Superior Designed Nitro Gas Monotube Shocks, thicker walls, longer travel
  • Corrosion resistant (EDP Surface Protection)
  • Direct, bolt-on replacement for easy fitment
  • 50mm hi-flow CNC 6061 Billet alloy piston
  • Heavy duty single piece lower leg
  • Japanese NOK Multi-Lip seals, Fuchs German shock absorber oil, Natural Rubber Bushings for reduced noise vibration and flexibility
  • High Quality Australian-made coil springs, heat treated, fully scragged, powder coated
  • Includes 2 Front IMS Struts, 2 Rear IMS Shocks, 4 Coil Springs.
But yeah, there's other options out there if you prefer for them to be assembled somewhere else..

Last edited:
So is the Lenovo Carbon X1 I'm typing on :D

Still seems like they import a reasonable amount of quality parts from external suppliers... in the end if it's put together well and lasts me 50-60k miles and then I can rebuild them, I'll be pleased. The damping quality of them is definitely descent and they don't have any weird noises or anything. For the money are definitely competitive in their features and options.
  • Complete suspension kit for 4x4 Off Road Use, fine tuned to match the vehicle
  • Fully re-buildable and re-valvable
  • vZero shock fade in all terrains with full load
  • Superior Designed Nitro Gas Monotube Shocks, thicker walls, longer travel
  • Corrosion resistant (EDP Surface Protection)
  • Direct, bolt-on replacement for easy fitment
  • 50mm hi-flow CNC 6061 Billet alloy piston
  • Heavy duty single piece lower leg
  • Japanese NOK Multi-Lip seals, Fuchs German shock absorber oil, Natural Rubber Bushings for reduced noise vibration and flexibility
  • High Quality Australian-made coil springs, heat treated, fully scragged, powder coated
  • Includes 2 Front IMS Struts, 2 Rear IMS Shocks, 4 Coil Springs.
But yeah, there's other options out there if you prefer for them to be assembled somewhere else..

I'm with you. They appear to source some decent parts and the overall reputation seems to be in par with a brand like Bilstein.

Personally, when given the choice, I try to buy products that aren't made in China.

So now I can finally make the final final update to the thread.

I paid the difference to upgrade, shipped back the Bilstein 5160 shocks and KYB top caps, and received full credit for the 6112s that never showed up.

Within a couple days I had the replacement Icon shocks heading my way and they got delivered quickly with no issues. These are some nice products and I'm honestly a little excited for the upgrade. The vendor pulled through in the end so no complaints there.

I haven't installed anything yet as life has been a bit nuts the last couple weeks. I also waffled on tires for over a week, but finally pulled the trigger on a set of LT255/75R17 C rated Yokohama G003 M/T's that I'll still run on my stock wheels with new Denso TPMS sensors (Shameless plug: I'll be selling my Method wheels and LT265/70r17 C rated BFG KO2 setup in the near future. Pics in first post).

Icon pics are attached for those who care!

PXL_20210427_192949038.jpg

PXL_20210427_193241475.MP.jpg

SO... There's a reason why I haven't posted more updates. It turns out Bilstein themselves are super backordered on the 6112s so I've been waiting up until this week.

And then in another thread, I just learned that the 47-284142 6112s include 700lb/in springs and not the 650lb/in springs that were advertised (I also called Bilstein to confirm) and that I need for my stock front bumper/no winch.

So I gave up waiting and I'm switching to basic Icon 58645 & 56505 suspension. The vendor is working with me to ship back my rear 5160s and front KYB top hats and I'm paying the difference to upgrade.

While the wait and then the spring rate issue has been a PITA the vendor is coming through to make it right. I'm actually a little excited to try Icon stuff too so I'll update once something new happens.
@Mr Chuck Norris did you ever get the 47-284142's? I just ordered and forgot about your post on these having 700 lbf/in. I thought they were 650 lbf/in.

Ah, never mind. I saw that you got ICONs instead. The web site that I ordered from said they had 26 kits of the 47-284142 and they said 650 lbf/in. If not, I'm going to sell these heavy springs

@Mr Chuck Norris did you ever get the 47-284142's? I just ordered and forgot about your post on these having 700 lbf/in. I thought they were 650 lbf/in.

Ah, never mind. I saw that you got ICONs instead. The web site that I ordered from said they had 26 kits of the 47-284142 and they said 650 lbf/in. If not, I'm going to sell these heavy springs

Haha nope, the backorder was indefinite so I jumped ship and got the Icons (which have been working really well). Ironically a few months later I got a shipping notice that the Bilsteins were finally going to ship. 😂

I'm still legitimately curious what springs you end up with so definitely post up once you get them!

Great thread. I am there with you. I try to buy American made as much as possible. I was about the pull the trigger on Ironman FCP but rethought it hard and went with Eibach 2.0 and their rear springs. At least they are made in America. I have used Eibach on my Jeeps and loved them so I thought I would give them a try. But, yea great thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom