Suspension expert needed - bounce/shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I am fairly new to this scene. Got an Fj62 and put on a TPI 3" lift kit. It came with springs that are suppossedly "the same" as OME, greasable shackles, and OME shocks. I love my 62, the lift is nice, and the ride is not harsh or stiff, but it does seem to bounce a bit - especially over small bumps in the road at slower speeds.

I replaced the medium duty OME shocks with their lightest type - which helped a bit. I don't carry heavy loads very often.

I have a feeling I need different shocks to help control the bounce, and I'm supposing that the springs are not overly stiff - since the overall ride is firm, but compliant and not harsh. Am I right?

I've seen suggestions for using the Rancho adjustable shocks, but their fitment guide only lists them for stock heights - not for lifts. Anyone know of a Rancho made for another vehicle that will fit a 3" lift FJ62? Any other shock suggestions for this lift that will control the bounce better?

Much appreciated
:bounce2:

I would give it some time to let the new springs settle. How long have they been on there? I am not familiar with the TPI kit but trust me nothing is the same is the OME set that is why they were probably cheapier.

The Rancho adjustable ones as I remember are expensive for shocks.

Goodluck

I installed the OME med/hvy with the OME shocks and felt like i was riding on solid tires adn no suspension for about a month then it softened up and woudl articulate better. Now teh OME are simply a dream. It's like the truck undulates over terrain! Point in case, I never had any bounce. Maybe call TPI and ask them what shocks to go with or if that is even the problem. Was the install fairly uneventful?

THANKS for the replies. The install came as a kit from TPI, with the OME shocks. Installation went fine and everything fit great. I've had the system on the ride for about 6 months, but it only sees weekend use. I just did a 200 mile off-road trip and it seems to be a little smoother, but not a lot.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if the springs just need to break in more, or the shocks just don't have the rebound control it needs. With more weight in it, it definitely rides better.

---------------
Oh, my signature ;)
1990 FJ62 light gold
3" TPI lift with OME shocks
31 x10.5 BFGs
Tints, killer stereo, GPS, cross-country cruiser

I would have thought stiffer shocks would have helped your bounce, but maybe I'm confused about what kind of bounce you are describing.

And I agree with whoever above: I doubt TPI's springs are "the same" as OMEs. For that matter, their crappy OEM replacements are not the same as OEMs, either.

Tim
88 fj62 TLCA

The spring rate on OME's OME 11 heavy load front 305 lb/in and the OME 113A heavy load rear are 268/570 lb/in .. are the TPI springs the same rate . ? what model of OME shocks you have . ?

The OME shocks are: front - OMEN92, rear - OMEN95 . Both specified as "light" duty, since I don't normally carry heavy loads. I had the OMEN85 on the rear originally (med. duty), but the bounce was definitely worse with those. I don't know what the actual spring rate of the springs are. Never saw that specification anywhere.

I guess the best way to describe the bounce is that at slow speeds cruising down the road, every little hump or waver in the pavement sends me up and down a few times. I feel kinda silly when I'm bouncing around in my seat over minor imperfections in the road. It seems to take big hits fine and it's not "harsh" or jarring - just bouncy over smaller stuff. Don't know how else to describe it.

thanks again,
Kevin

Checking in my OME catalog 2002 I can't found any OMEN92 or OMEN95 .. !

I see OME91A 254 Spring rate and OME91B or OME99A and OME99B with 208 spring rate .. in both cases much less rate than other omes that I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom