Sure fire rust arrestment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have great success stopping rust on a 1990 Kubota tractor and a 2003 Silverado pick up!
Here what to do...
1. remove any loose rust by scraping, hammering or high pressure washing.
2. Let dry and use a chemical rated hand pump sprayer to apply a thourough undeluted coat of OSPHO RUST TREATMENT. Rust will turn black!
3. Let dry for 24 hrs. If a white powder appears, use a brush to remove it.
4. Apply a full coat of paint primer and paint or either undercoating or bedliner.

This is proven to work by 3 years of field results! NO RUST AFTER 3 YEARS! ITS ABOUT TIME!

We used OSPHO a lot at work over a lot of years. I always hated having to brush that white powder off the next day. Then the welders turned me on to another way to use it. Same steps as yours but I only leave it on 30 minutes to an hour. Then I hose it down with the garden hose and a quick light going over with a big soft scrub brush and Dawn dish soap. Rinse again, then blow it dry the best I can with the air hose. Then I wipe it down with lacquer thinner, or spray it with brake cleaner depending on the size and shape. Then prime.
I've found OSPHO does most of what it's going to do in 30 60 minutes. It sure speeds things up. I use the same method to prep aluminum and galvanized for painting also.

Have either of you used it on a Land Cruiser?
Any pictures?

I use phosphoric acid all the time, usually as a final step after electrolysis to help prevent flash rust. I'm guessing the rust treatment above is primarily phosphoric acid that can be obtained at a cleaning supply place for something like $30 a gallon. Since it is concentrated and you have to dilute it, it lasts for years. I keep a 5 gal pail of dilute for soaking small parts.

Perhaps the product above has something else in it, because it can take several days to remove heavy rust.

Phosphoric acid the the main ingredient in a lot of rust removers and paint prep products, many of which I find expensive.

I use phosphoric acid all the time, usually as a final step after electrolysis to help prevent flash rust. I'm guessing the rust treatment above is primarily phosphoric acid that can be obtained at a cleaning supply place for something like $30 a gallon. Since it is concentrated and you have to dilute it, it lasts for years. I keep a 5 gal pail of dilute for soaking small parts.

Perhaps the product above has something else in it, because it can take several days to remove heavy rust.

Phosphoric acid the the main ingredient in a lot of rust removers and paint prep products, many of which I find expensive.

Ospho has wetting agents in it as well as phosphoric acid! I will stick with what worked for me. No reason it would not work on a Landcruiser! I did my iron railings last year, my tractor and Chevy truck 3 to 4 years ago! I am not promoting a product for profit for me or anyone else. IMO don't buy it from west marine. The two gals i bought there the seal was removed and it did not work as well. Diluted??? I can't say for sure. I can say the seals were removed.
THIS WORKS, NOT MAYBE, IT WORKS!
Al M.

I wasn't implying Ospho doesn't work, just commenting on the fact that phosporic acid is the main ingredient of lots of rust-related products. :)

I wasn't implying Ospho doesn't work, just commenting on the fact that phosporic acid is the main ingredient of lots of rust-related products. :)
I did think hou were implying OSPHO doesn't work. Yes phosphoric acid is the main ingredient . It doesn't remove the rust it is my understanding it converts it so it stops the electrolisis that causes the rust. At any rate it works th he best my 53 years has seen. My 03 silverado is know for heavy rust out, my truck after 17 year is in great shape and i plow with it!

I did think hou were implying OSPHO doesn't work. Yes phosphoric acid is the main ingredient . It doesn't remove the rust it is my understanding it converts it so it stops the electrolisis that causes the rust. At any rate it works th he best my 53 years has seen. My 03 silverado is know for heavy rust out, my truck after 17 year is in great shape and i plow with it!
Do you have a picture of the can this stuff comes in? I’m up in Canada, and will try to find it if I can.
My 60 & 74 both need treatment. Nows the time.

Here is a good comparison. I have spent a bit of time looking at these. I have Corroseal
which the comparison says is their number 1. But it uses tannic acid and some biodegradable
chemical. The Ospho is at the last of their list. I would tend to believe that your results with
Ospho are probably better than the results with Corroseal. I’m still looking for Ospho.
BTW, do you buy it in a spray or brush it on?

Do you have a picture of the can this stuff comes in? I’m up in Canada, and will try to find it if I can.
My 60 & 74 both need treatment. Nows the time.
I"ll try later today, best to send an email and I will take picture for you! It comes in a plastic 1 gal jug, the product has a green tint. OPSHO has a website here in the USA.
Here is a good comparison. I have spent a bit of time looking at these. I have Corroseal
which the comparison says is their number 1. But it uses tannic acid and some biodegradable
chemical. The Ospho is at the last of their list. I would tend to believe that your results with
Ospho are probably better than the results with Corroseal. I’m still looking for Ospho.
BTW, do you buy it in a spray or brush it on?
You can get OSPHO on Amazon. 26 bucks. You can see a picture on Amazon as well.
Try it and let me know how you made out. My brother did an old trailer 2 years ago , He love it and he thanked me for the Suggestion.
For 26 bucks what do you have to lose more than everything else you have tried!

After pulling parts out of the electrolysis tank, I scrub and rinse the items with water then spray it with diluted Klean Strip's, phosphoric prep and etch to stop flash rust and to be painted in the future. I've also used it straight on items that were going to get painted in a day or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom