Sunroof Leak -- Well Researched (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've spent hours reading back many of the sunroof leak threads here and have found some useful information, but after running the usual tests, I've seemed to have worsened my problem. Any feedback appreciated. Here's what's happened to date and steps taken along with pictures. I got my 94 in January:

1. First few months, no leaks in pretty hard rain + highway driving. I park outside and nothing evident ever after rains while sitting.

2. I've gone through two auto car washes, the first time no leaks, the second time pretty bad leak from the sunroof itself onto the passenger seat and passenger side A pillar seam at the top, running down to the floor. Nothing on the drivers side or in the rear. Main issue is that I live downtown in a city with street parking, so washing the car myself, which I'd prefer, isn't an option.

3. Today, months later after many days of rain, no washes, I pulled the two round rubber plugs under the rockers. Some water came out on each side, maybe 1/4 of a cup if that, not that much given how much rain the truck has been through in months. Definitely not a gusher. I cleared the two drain slits I could find on each side about half way back with zip ties, nothing came out/they seemed clear. I also ran weed wacker line down each front drain about 4.5/5 feet down. I had to press moderately hard for the last half foot each side but don't think I pressed that hard to puncture, especially since the line end is fairly soft and the tension/strength of the line isn't that strong.

Here is where things are strange. After that I ran about 1.5 cups/10 oz of water from a water bottle slowly down each drain with the sun roof open. Both sides drained from the rocker plugs, but this time, the driver's side A pillar seam weeped a bit. Bone dry on the passenger side where I had big problems before. Both sides seemed to drain about the same speed/effectiveness. Water ran back toward the rear along the side channel when the main drain couldn't handle that much water, but again I was pouring pretty slowly and paused from time to time. I could hear the water run down/drain on the passenger side FWIW, which seems like a good sign. The dust covers on each side don't seem bent, which has led to water leakage for some.

Did I puncture the DS drain with weed wacker? Pictures below of the drains, covers, and DS leak. The last picture is some small water I found on the drivers side/middle front inside the sunroof before testing, not sure useful to note. Some light rain last two days. Thanks for any leads here.

DS.jpg

DS2.jpg

PS.jpg

PS2.jpg

SRF.jpg

Sounds like you may have separated the drain line partially from the drain pan at the sunroof. You can remove the headliner there and check to make sure the hose is still securely connected.

Sounds like you may have separated the drain line partially from the drain pan at the sunroof. You can remove the headliner there and check to make sure the hose is still securely connected.
Thanks -- do you/anyone have a good link for dropping the headliner just on this part in a 93-94...I know they're a pain vs 95-97s. And has anyone had luck with replacements for those dust covers with aftermarket or makeshift solutions, since the OEMs are NLA? Thanks very much in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom