Sunroof drains but still leaks... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My drains are all clean and run well but I still have water coming out of the front overhead light and compartment and out of the second row overhead lights. Is it worth looking farther into it or should I just silcone the dumb thing and stop the leaks?

Mine continued to leak even after i had fixed all the drains and i had water coming out of the same area you are describing.

I finally pulled the head liner down while it was raining one day and realized the leak was coming in around the windshield. I had the windshield replaced back in October of last year and it has not leaked since.

Look closely at the plastic trim that is adhered to the sunroof assembly (between the gasket and the glass). Mine had a small crack, allowing water into the vehicle. I was stumped for MONTHS, as my drains worked fine and my gasket was in great shape. Water was leaking into the cabin and draining all the way down through the A-pillar, onto the passenger side carpet.

I had a windshield installed by the degenerates at Safelite. They completely overlooked/forgot to put a bead of glue/sealant at the top of the windshield, and they used screws in the molding instead of rivets. New windshield guy comes in to replace windshield and shows me the old WS without glue around one of the four sides.

Cost me 500 hundred but my leak was solved....

Sunroof leak from Driver site,Rt Site driving( Land Cruiser) I`ve done an investigations, the leak not from the Nipple drain, it come from the railing it self ( where hinges install to move front and back holding the glass)and ingress in front coming down from the cap at angle of the front sun roof drain.( Triangle alike cap with small crew). As the Land Cruiser sun roof made/assembled from layer of plate/railing .2nd layer of the railing contained some sort of rubber/Silicone placed crossing the 2nd layer plate when they assembled/piled like sandwich to stopped the water ingress front.So its happened mine is worn out and cause the water ingress to the front. when in rain the drain will guide the water to discharge from the nipple,but..small amount of water sometimes drop to the Rail just beside the drain..so Toyota engineer designed the railing/plate to have it small hole so the water will flow back to the actual drain.Because of the rail/plate not 1 piece/solid they placed rubber/silicone crossing the plate/railing and assembled them like sandwich...Meaning to say this is the cause for most leak were not solve.because we always thinking about the Drain clogged or hose punctured.I already fixed mine replace the silicone and ad thin leather on it.Now no more leak.

Last edited:
After a good rain have the dreaded leak dripping a few drops on my head or back...when wife borrowed rig and she did not like...

on my todo list...will have to check some of these solutions

thanks

After a good rain have the dreaded leak dripping a few drops on my head or back...when wife borrowed rig and she did not like...

thanks
I've had the same over on Saturday. I ran some GOOP, clear silicon over the top of the sun roof weather stripping. Both glass side and paint side of the strip. It will at least by me some time to get the part and do HW on how to replace that gasket. I'll assume I have to drop the head liner to get access to the sunroof gasket.

Leaking has has stopped. The GOOP should be easy to remove later, looks ugly but does the job.

I've had the same over on Saturday. I ran some GOOP, clear silicon over the top of the sun roof weather stripping. Both glass side and paint side of the strip. It will at least by me some time to get the part and do HW on how to replace that gasket. I'll assume I have to drop the head liner to get access to the sunroof gasket.

Leaking has has stopped. The GOOP should be easy to remove later, looks ugly but does the job.

I had the same problem as the OP and did this. 5 years later it's still working.

I'm in CA so there's a lot less rain than some places, though.

thanks

I have the same thing, and oooh when the water is cold it sucks to have it dump on your head. I've resorted to stuffing towels in the rails at work when it's raining. I'll have to try the Goop. I also find the sunroof rattles as I drive.

Sunroof leak from Driver site,Rt Site driving( Land Cruiser) I`ve done an investigations, the leak not from the Nipple drain, it come from the railing it self ( where hinges install to move front and back holding the glass)and ingress in front coming down from the cap at angle of the front sun roof drain.( Triangle alike cap with small crew). As the Land Cruiser sun roof made/assembled from layer of plate/railing .2nd layer of the railing contained some sort of rubber/Silicone placed crossing the 2nd layer plate when they assembled/piled like sandwich to stopped the water ingress front.So its happened mine is worn out and cause the water ingress to the front. when in rain the drain will guide the water to discharge from the nipple,but..small amount of water sometimes drop to the Rail just beside the drain..so Toyota engineer designed the railing/plate to have it small hole so the water will flow back to the actual drain.Because of the rail/plate not 1 piece/solid they placed rubber/silicone crossing the plate/railing and assembled them like sandwich...Meaning to say this is the cause for most leak were not solve.because we always thinking about the Drain clogged or hose punctured.I already fixed mine replace the silicone and ad thin leather on it.Now no more leak.
Can you show us a pic of how you achieved this? I've pinpointed my leak to the railing but I'm not sure where to apply silicone.

This youtuber is a 3rd gen 4runner guru. I cant imagine that our cruisers are too different. I bet half the trim removal is overkill, but at least it gets you a mental picture of whats going on with the sunroof drain/seal system that toyota uses.

Can you show us a pic of how you achieved this? I've pinpointed my leak to the railing but I'm not sure where to apply silicone.
Same here. Need pictures. I can't comprehend this but know it must be my problem. My actual drains are clear.

I think that plastic trim is suspect, mine has been lifting off causing sun roof to not work all the time. I am going to install a new gasket and see if I can glue that plastic trim down.

Sounds like a good place to start, but be mindful with gasket reinstallation as I have heard it to be tricky with this application. Also, some good silicone may in fact seal up any small cracks you finding the plastic section that is not replaceable. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom