Sun Visor won't stay up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sunset South Carolina, Tamassee, South Carolina
Ok guys, I know this is nothing technical, but now both of my sun visors won't stay up. Short of putting velcro or a snap on the ceiling, anyone have any solutions? Tried to take one apart but no luck. Passenger side failed about 3 years ago. Drivers side just started.

Going to buy some new sun glasses today....

I'll try a search. I did indeed try to pull mine apart but it looked like it would destroy it, beyond repair.

If I recall, a new sun visor was in excess of $100. :crybaby:

I'll keep trying and let you guys know how it turns out.

motherhucker said:
yea that was my hack job still holding up great ;)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=44153

Your fix makes sense to me. Two questions:

How does the rod pull out? Just pull hard or is there a release needed for the spring?

How does the mirror come off? Haven't explored removing the mirror yet, but will check it out tomorrow.

Thanks,

Jim

Capt. Jim said:
Your fix makes sense to me. Two questions:

How does the rod pull out? Just pull hard or is there a release needed for the spring?

How does the mirror come off? Haven't explored removing the mirror yet, but will check it out tomorrow.

Thanks,

Jim

No release for the spring you may have to twist it a bit and pull hard depending on its condition. The most important thing is to stop once it is loose and disconnect the plug inside the visor before pulling it the rest of the way out. once the rod is out you will have to use a pin extractor or small screwdriver to remove the pins from the plug so you can slide the wires through the rod tube so they dont melt.
To get the mirror out just remove the bulb cover and there are some philips screws holding the mirror on.
You may have to cut in the the foam a bit with a razor blade to get the wires back through when you reassemble.

Good luck!

My '95s pass. side visor has been droopy for months.

I have several old Genie garage door remotes (the basic kind you get 'free' with the opener) and removed the stainless steel spring visor clip from one and bent it straight. Now you have a stainless steel strip about 7" long. I removed the FZJ dome light lower panel, drilled a hole in the stainless tab, and trapped it between the lower dome light panel and the rest of the dome light base, using a base screw as the axle. This stainless tab can be swung around under the visor to hold it up, and swung around to release it. When your passengers forget to do this, it just 'sproings' out of the way, and the visor drops down. This solution works well, and any sticky-back velcro thing I tried was a disaster.

I know someone will ask for pix - but use your imagination and it'll be pretty obvious how this has to work. The nice part is that the Genie garage door clip is just the right strength to hold up the visor, and flexible enough to bend out of the way when you forget it's there. Being stainless, it leaves no residue or damage to the visor.

Steve
Colo Springs, CO

Sun Visor

I just went through this. Took a razor blade and slit the fabric along the front seam about 2 inches. Saw the clip inside but did not try to take it apart. There was a hole to the right of the clip. Have no idea what it was for but stuck a short metal screw in the hole and tightened it. That helped. Then hit the clip with a metal punch to compress it a little. Sewed the seam up with some matching thread. Visor works! Am skeptical about how long it will work though. Intend to buy a new or used visor when (if) the fix fails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom