Suggestions/Options/Next Steps? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fountainhead

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all. Long time mud member but rarely visit this forum.

My wife's 2010 200 series that we've had for 7+ years recently exhibited symptom similar to those described in this thread:

What's different is that while all the 'dash lit up like a Christmas tree' symptoms were the same and the motor seemed to lock up once, it billowed white smoke out the exhaust like a blown head gasket. Not too long back, the main drive belt broke, and looking back now, I'm guessing she overheated it..which led to the demise of the head gasket and potentially other/worse things. At this point it seems to be hydro-locked and the local techs think it's likely too far gone as the coolant has sat in the cylinders for a few weeks.

I guess I'm looking for some feedback on the following questions:

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the current prognosis...is it too far gone and not even worth pulling the heads at this point? Asked another way, is an engine swap about the only option if one was looking to get it back on the road?

Assuming an engine swap is the best option, are there any documented cases of someone swapping in a Tundra/Sequoia based 3ur? Availability of a 200 series based 3ur seems low...and hard to trust as evidenced by the thread above. I saw early on in that thread where someone posted a link to some high performance replacements, but, from what I could tell, those were tundra based 3ur's.

If, for me personally, it's not worth throwing more money at, is there any market for it as a parts/project truck. I know a value can't be put on it without pics detailing the general condition etc, but anyone willing to put a ballpark figure on its value as is (assuming it's a clean example with 250k ish miles)?

Thanks in advance for all the feedback.

JT

It is difficult to say from across the internet. If you have to pay a shop to do the diagnostics and teardown, then you might be throwing good money after bad. Most everything is fixable with enough money. Yes you can swap in a Tundra/Sequoia engine, it has been done and discussed here over the years. You have to swap accessories over, but that's just time. Most people won't buy a project unless it is a great deal (myself included). For someone with skills, time and a shop, it might be a fun project. Then again, it is usually more economical to buy one that is already running.

Where are you located?

Thanks. Too far for me to come haul it off and build a trail rig. :)

I would say its worth an engine replacement given it still has roughly 10 years in it. As far as i know the tundra engine is easy enough to find and identical, despite truck being assembled in USA. But I could be wrong here. Cost isn’t bad but install will most likely be where it hurts.

As far as the belt, you have got me paranoid now. I just replaced mine and quadruple checked everything. If i missed any routing or pulley surely I would be having a fault code and CEL right?

I monitored temps on test drive as well as visual check while running and everything seemed exactly as normal and smooth sounding. Fan engaged, water pump running, obv the crank pulley, and alternator definitely working via volt gauge. Anything else i should keep an eye on for the lurkers?

One of the few important differences between a J series 3UR and one from a tundra is the upper oil pan needing provisions for the oil level sensor. But that is quite easy to swap with the engine out. Otherwise it should bolt right in

Personally I’d be trying to find a low to moderate mileage tundra/sequoia engine and drive on. A key detail for me would be what it looks like under the valve covers.

How many miles are on your 2010? I'm assuming 250k given you suggested looking for a motor with that kind of mileage on it already?

If you have 250k on your truck that's a hard decision. These trucks can go 300-400k or more before needing major repairs (engine, transmission, etc). If you swap or can rebuild the engine, you've got the most expensive repair squared away. You could also end up dropping $5-10k on other repairs in the next few years.

Personally I'd pay a shop to pull the engine. If they pop the heads and it's not seized, I would rebuild it as the engines are designed to be rebuilt 3 times. If the engine is beyond r&r I'd find a wrecked sub-100k mile Tundra motor and swap that in. Even if you spend $10-15k to get a motor in it, you'll get that back if you decide to sell it, and if it's a lower mileage engine all the better. OTOH trying to sell a truck with a blown engine will be really hard, as buyers will always worry something else is wrong so you're not going to get anywhere near the vehicle value. And while the truck is probably worth quite a bit parted out, unless you really have the capability to do that you're not going to get much for it as a parts truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom