Suggestions for 31x10.50R15 installation on stock wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I purchased 31x10.50R15 BFG KO2s over Memorial Day at Costco. They will not mount the tires as they say it needs a 7” wide rim. Stock wheels are 15”x6”. Went to Discount Tire and was given the same answer. I know a lot of people here run this tire size on stock steel wheels, so I was looking to see if anyone had suggestions for a tire installer in the Reno, NV area that would mount this tire size on a stock wheel.

I’d like to keep the stock wheels and look, just would like a larger size. They offered 30x9.5R15 as another option but I plan on putting an OME lift on and do not want the tires looking under sized after the lift.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm not in NV, but I didn't have any issues mounting 31x10.5x15 on the stock rims at my local shop - not sure if there is a Les Schwab in Reno?

We do have a les schwab, I can give them a shot.

I was not expecting to run into problems as everyone here loves that size on a stock rig. So I was definitely caught off guard when both Costco and Discount Tire refused to install them.

Just got off the phone with our local les schwab, they refuse to do it too.

Gotta go with a "Mom & Pop" shop, not a National Chain - The lawyers are protecting the big shops from liability in these litigious times. A Peerless Tyre worked on my truck - with 10.5's on stock rims AND .25" spacers...but I knew the owner.

Not in NV, but in North Idaho, 4Wheel Parts installed 33x10.5's on my stock FJ40 rims 15x5.5, no questions asked. Give them a try, they have a shop in Sparks, NV.

I didn't tell them my rim width, I just dropped off the rig and said I want these tires on the rims that were on there. They did it. I imagine if I said I want 33x10.5's and I only have a 5.5" rim, they might have asked questions.

4” difference used to be the standard. Don’t know why it changed. I have 35x12.5 on 8” rims and have had 10.5s on stock rims.

My buddy has a tire shop actually a mechanic shop owner of a 60 i am working on got 32 11.5 15 falken at3 tires took them to my buddy first one ripped the bead after that he stopped and nope i just bought a tire sense that happened got new widder aluminum rims. I have 32 11.5 15 bfg mud terrain on my 62 on stock rims he said falken have a stiffer side wall than bfg. He has also gotten a new tire machine sense then my not have the same problem with the new machine more than likely this is why big chain stores won't mount them not sure tho.
Tommy

Most places will do it if you take the tires and rims off the vehicle. Just say it’s for an off-road trailer

The tire is exactly the same size it was 30 years ago and nobody (including BFG) cared if they got mounted on 6" wide wheels. But now BFG wants them on 7" wide wheels minimum and it's for a good reason.

While the 31" tire can physically be mounted on the stock 6" wheel, it's a really really tight fit and it doesn't look quite right when mounted. The 6" wheel pulls in the sidewall bead too much, essentially pinching in the tire. I've hand mounted a 31" BFG AT tire on my spare 6" stock wheel with tire irons and it's a BEAR to get that sucker on that wheel. A Herculean feat using just tire irons. The tire bead gets really torqued beyond what's reasonable trying to get it past the lip of the wheel. Basically it doesn't fit (but can be forced to fit).
It's really easy to damage the bead forcing it over the wheel's lip.

I've had shops in the past mount a 31 to my spare 6" stock wheel and I've watched them struggle over and over trying to get it over the wheel. And that's with using a professional tire mounting station and a guy who mounts tires all day long.

I don't blame BFG one bit for not blessing 6" wide wheels with their 31" tires, nor shops not allowing it. It doesn't fit quite right and nowadays with people getting sued for anything- it's too much of a liability.

But if you find a cheapo small shop in the bad area of town (I'm thinking a llantera), they'll mount it for you.

I did my own at my friends Saab shop. I didn’t have any trouble mounting them and they went on the stock rims without any issue. They handle fine too.

Ok, thanks for the insight. Sounds like I should be looking at other options if that is the case.

Peerless (in my town) doesn't look at tire age, size, etc. - they happily mount whatever I bring them. YMMV, of course.

I gave up on trying to use my stock wheels with 10.5” wide tires. I asked a Costco guy if they would mount them. He immediately said “we won’t stretch tires.” I said “I’m asking the opposite.” He then got huffy with me and asked a supervisor over who promptly blew me off rather than listen to my question. That coupled with the fact no store in my area even stocks a Group 27 battery means I’ll take my auto business elsewhere! I’m sure I had other options locally but I wanted the easy route = Buy them, get them mounted at the same place, and dispose of my old tires.

/rant

Plus now I can save the stock wheels for a future mini truck or FJ40 build... right? :hillbilly:

Hi,

I purchased 31x10.50R15 BFG KO2s over Memorial Day at Costco. They will not mount the tires as they say it needs a 7” wide rim. Stock wheels are 15”x6”. Went to Discount Tire and was given the same answer. I know a lot of people here run this tire size on stock steel wheels, so I was looking to see if anyone had suggestions for a tire installer in the Reno, NV area that would mount this tire size on a stock wheel.

I’d like to keep the stock wheels and look, just would like a larger size. They offered 30x9.5R15 as another option but I plan on putting an OME lift on and do not want the tires looking under sized after the lift.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

I can't tell what vehicle you have. If FJ62, go to Firestone and tell them what you want. Don't mention history. If they say okay, take back tires to Costco. See here. Builds - Sentimental Restoration of Family 1990 FJ62

I should mention Costco had no problem refunding my money on the tires so that’s been done already. I’m going to check with 4wheel parts when I get off work Thursday morning...and exclude any mention of other shops not being willing to install them. Worst case maybe they can give me other ideas...I’d like to do KO2s as I ski a bit and would like to be able to make it up and down the hill this winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom