Suggest an A/T tire for me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've had good luck with Nitto terragrappler and Bfg AT. Nitto's were better in snow for the first 20,000. BGF seem better for the second 1/2 of their life.

I've had good luck with Nitto terragrappler and Bfg AT. Nitto's were better in snow for the first 20,000. BGF seem better for the second 1/2 of their life.

Really? My experience has been the exact opposite. BFG's were great at first, then the compound turned very hard, making it pretty slippery in the snow and rain. I usually sell them around 40% tread and put the funds towards a new set.

Very, very happy with the Revo IIs after almost a year & 15k miles; even being E-rated, the ride is terrific (38psi), they have zero issues & track perfectly straight going 90mph+ on long freeway stretches.

They handled a winter trip to Montana, where my brother-in-law lives on a mountain with a driveway that is essentially a snow & ice covered logging road that is also a long, nasty incline; yeah, ATRAC kicked in a few times but I was more than happy with the level of grip on the ice & snow.

Tons of tread depth left after 15k miles of use; I replace tires normally at 25-30k and I am quite sure I'll be happy enough with the tread to get to 30-35k before I start getting the burnin' yearnin' for new ones.

Off road, they did absolutely great on the rocks at Sedona, and that was without airing down; at a lower psi the grip would be phenomenal.

My ONE complaint? They LOVE to grab & hold onto small pieces of gravel in the super-deep tread!! :rolleyes: No biggie; I have a mini pair of needlenose pliers in the center console to pick the pebbles out once a week or so.

Great review again. Thanks. Good looking cruiser by the way. Looks exactly like mine.

Have combined well over 1 million miles on the BFG T/A KOs on personal and fleet vehicles. Great in snow, good mileage, descent in mud. Never had a flat in 4 years.

The Michelin LTX is great if you are 99% on road and do not go off of gravel roads.

I’ve been using 32” Michelin LTX AT/2 for the past 2 years and 21,000 miles. They are quiet, round, easily balanced and have great on-road handling. No noticeable hydroplaning and they grip well for an AT tire in light snow and ice. The tread is now 10/32 and it started at 14/32. (A previous set of LTX M/S went 70,000 miles for me on an 80 before a bad shock absorber job at the dealer wrecked one and I had to replace them all.) The AT/2 sidewalls are tough and shed rocks and stumps without cutting or chunking. It’s a great sand/mud tire because the little ridges on the tread edges act as paddles to aid traction. I’ve powered through some very deep, loose sand for many miles on these tires, pulling a heavy trailer. So, You’ll need to define what you mean by “off-road”, but for on-road manners and decent sand/mud/snow use the LTX AT/2 is working well for me and I expect to get at least 60,000 miles out of them.

Consumer Survey Results By Category

I had Bridgestone Duelers on my old Cherokee...were great on road, wet, sand and light snow. Packed up tight in even the shallowest mud. Wore pretty good as long as I rotated them with 5 tire rotation ever 4,000 miles...they had a multi density compound that claimed same traction at 20k as they had at 5k miles....dont know if was case but were fine.

Should work fine...slightly less aggressive than Nitto.

I still would not buy any E rated tire since your stated goals were smooth ride and smaller impact to gas mileage....E Rated are very stiff (hence stiff sidewall for towing) and are heavy as hell due to extra material used in sidewall. Stick with D rated at most...no matter what you choose.

I have used BFG AT (original), Bridgestone Dueler, Dunlop Rover, General Grabber, and Nitto Terra Grapplers over the past 25 years...and still think the Terra Grapplers were best all around tire of the bunch for highway, wet roads, sand, mud, snow, etc. Cleaned themselves out better than BFG AT in mud and snow...... Bridgestone Dueler would be my second choice for all around highway and offroad light duty driving.....but if not for Nitto Terra Grappler I would recommend the Firestone Destination AT as a second choice I have never run but have heard nothing but good things about the new Firestone Destination AT and MT tires...

I'm a fan of the D-rated BFG All Terrain KO's. Only lost about 1/2 mpg, they work well offroad, in the rain, and in the snow. Mine are inflated to 40 front/42 rear for daily street use. Ride is notably firm compared to the wimpy balloons that they replaced, but it's not harsh at all. Hope this helps.

Bfg's were better than TG's for the 2nd 1/2 of their life. Not better than when the bfg's were new.:rolleyes:

Really? My experience has been the exact opposite. BFG's were great at first, then the compound turned very hard, making it pretty slippery in the snow and rain. I usually sell them around 40% tread and put the funds towards a new set.

I gotta say this tire has my interest. I know it's not the sexiest AT on the market, but the Michelin LTX M/S I had before would surprise they hell out of you with performance off road. Sounds like these are a step above and I might be looking to buy a set. SAMS Club has them for $250 a tire with a $70 coupon off the set until the end of March...

I’ve been using 32” Michelin LTX AT/2 for the past 2 years and 21,000 miles. They are quiet, round, easily balanced and have great on-road handling. No noticeable hydroplaning and they grip well for an AT tire in light snow and ice. The tread is now 10/32 and it started at 14/32. (A previous set of LTX M/S went 70,000 miles for me on an 80 before a bad shock absorber job at the dealer wrecked one and I had to replace them all.) The AT/2 sidewalls are tough and shed rocks and stumps without cutting or chunking. It’s a great sand/mud tire because the little ridges on the tread edges act as paddles to aid traction. I’ve powered through some very deep, loose sand for many miles on these tires, pulling a heavy trailer. So, You’ll need to define what you mean by “off-road”, but for on-road manners and decent sand/mud/snow use the LTX AT/2 is working well for me and I expect to get at least 60,000 miles out of them.

Consumer Survey Results By Category

I sincerely caution you with the Yokohama Geolander AT/S. They are not the greatest in snow, and downright dangerous in mud, they are good in rain, and dry though. 2 of my tires have tread separation, this should not happen after 30k of driving. They're only 2 years old. Also, if you tow, the sidewall is very thin on them.

After countless hours of research over the last 6 months, I'm between the Goodyear Duratracs and the Hankook Dynapro At/M RF-10.

For your purposes, I highly recommend the Hankook Dynapro's. The price is pretty good too, and the general consensus is that they outperform pretty much anything in their class based on numerous reviews I've read. The other thing is that they are quite a quiet tire for an A/T. Much quieter than the BFG. If you look at the reviews, you'll understand why I'm recommending them. One shop locally here says they sell 7 to 1 vs the BFG's. I wonder why?

Here they are: Tire Reviews - Discount Tire Direct

If you're wanting a quiet tire, forget the BFG's they're loud as hell compared to most of the other offerings. I've owned them on 3 other rigs, and my bro just got another brand new set on his LX. Of the research I've done, the only real negative you'll hear about the duratracs is that they can wear a little quicker. However, one thing to note is that those negative comments all came from people with 8000+lb 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. People with rigs like ours and lighter seldom have those issues, and most get good treadwear. You may want to check this out:

YouTube - Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac off-road tire

There's tons of these threads out there, but here's another : http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19569

Have the michelins on your car (im assuming stock tires) not been able to take you anywhere youve wanted to go? If not why change? Theyre great tires and unless youre going in mud or actual wheeling the TLC should be able to go most places with them.

For looks as far as AT tires go i dont like the terra grapplers personally especially if youre going for a cool looking tire. They dont look any more aggressive than the michelin imo. Theres a reason the BFG ATs are the best selling true AT tire and I think performance and looks have a hand in there, why dont you like them?

Or just do what i did and put on some BFG KM2's, turn up the radio and drive through whatever comes your way.

They are quiet, round, easily balanced and have great on-road handling.

Id like more information on these tires you say are....round? Interesting...:p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom