Help please - full A/T malfunction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys

Much appreciate your help again pls as my A/T appears properly buggered for strangest of reasons.

I was just doing a minor cosmetic job - removal of AHC console switch following my AHC delete months ago + replacement with a plastic console cover box (toyota part 58839-60040). See photos before and after below. I did the job in front of the house, on the drive way which has a small angle forward. Since i needed to move the gear levers i thought to just chock a wheel in addition to having the parking brake up.

Anyways the console remove went easy but the main gear shifter knob didnt come off... there are 2 small screws to undo and then it slide upwards. I couldnt slide all the way off - my guess was that the wires/cables for the selector knob and O/D button was preventing it. Perhaps i maybe tugged it a little hard and unhooked something at this point. IDK. Then i realized i could slot out the console cover without removing the main shifter knob so completed the job without that. Had to unclip the heated seats, PWR, 2nd etc buttons.

When i reinstalled everything i started the vehicle just as a precautionary check - i'm pretty sure it started in Neutral (cant for life of me remember if that should even be possible??). I shifted through the gears all the way down to 2 then all the way back up to Park... on the last part going from Reverse to P there was a awful grind (like a young driver learning to shift manual and not clutching properly). Thought it strange as i've heard/had that before and then cycled the gears all the way down to 2 again - no problem - all the way back up and then same awful grinding noise going from R into P. So turned the vehicle off and noticed the dash showing red warning light A/T-P *. Restarted the car and that warning light stayed on. Switched it off. Plugged in the OBDI diagnosis - no errors. Packed up the job and as i kicked out the chock from the wheel the car started rolling forward - jumped in - caught it. This is also strange as a car in P doesnt roll. Started her to reverse it back into place - it wouldnt move - just revved. Put it back in P and again noise. Shut it off, parking brake on, chock back in.

Really really worried now. Much need some advice pls what to do/check?

View attachment 3589066

View attachment 3589067

View attachment 3589068

According to drivers manual - AT/P = warning P not engaged:

View attachment 3589070

Never mind. Silly me. HNL was in N. Ugh.

mods pls delete thread
1711212524953.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom