Stumped by Seemingly Easy Task: Side Mirror (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am NOT a good mechanic or DIYer. I am, however, stumped by something I feel that even I should be able to do: installing/replacing outside review mirror glass.

I broke my passenger side mirror, but the housing and everything else is OK. I bought a replacement mirror from Toyota. Installation seems like it should be easy. Connect the wiring (done), slip a clip on the new mirror under a post on the top half of the "mirror holder plate" (technical term) that holds the mirror and then push straight down/forward so that lower clips on the mirror clip on a post at the bottom half of the mirror holder plate. The clips on the top look like you slide them up from beneath the post on the plate while the clips on the bottom look to push straight onto the post on the plate.

When I try to do this, I can't get the clips to click onto the mirror holder plate. I try to line it up and push up and the clips don't click. When I keep pushing the mirror holder plate just moves around (with resistance/clicks--which I'm sure isn't good for it).

Is there a process/trick to this that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

The hooks on the back of the glass (circled in red) should go underneath the top clip mounts in the mirror housing (red arrows). Have to angle the top of the glass farther into the housing to get them to hook on. Then it acts as a hinge and the lower part of the glass can swing down and the bottom clips (circled in blue) will snap on the bottom bars of the bracket (blue arrows)

Side Mirror_LI.jpg

Wild shot in the dark but I wonder if after hooking the top red circled hooks, you could have a helper use the switch inside the truck to tilt the mirror all the way down. Maybe then it would be up against a mechanical stop allowing you to press hard enough to get the bottom clips to pop on without having the mechanism move on you?

Thank you both. I am essentially trying to do what The Forger described. I'll try angling the top of the mirror further into the housing.

I replaced my mirror glass this week and followed the same method as TheForger posted. It took quite a bit of pressure to engage all the clips.

Unfortunately my mirror doesn't go up or down now so I guess I broke something, but I'm the only one who drives it so it's not a big deal (the mirror still moves from side to side)

You'll feel and hear the top clips locate. They need to be properly seated before you try to engage the bottom clips. In hindsight I should have inserted a tool (perhaps a curved trim removal pry bar) to support the back of the lower frame before pushing the glass onto the lower clips.

Unfortunately my mirror doesn't go up or down now so I guess I broke something, but I'm the only one who drives it so it's not a big deal (the mirror still moves from side to side)
You probably didn't break anything. I had exactly the same issue just now. Reinstalled a side mirror and the electric motors would only move it side to side, not up and down.

I just folded the mirrors in using the electric motors (pressed the button), then folded them out again, and the mirror would then adjust up and down again. I suspect that with all the pushing required to get the mirror clipped in that the mirror ECU decides that function doesn't work anymore. But folding the mirrors in and out again seems to reset the ECU.

^ Thank you.

My vehicle is a 105 so the mirrors don't have the power fold function (or at least there's no power fold button!), so unfortunately I don't have that re-set option.

I have the only 100 series on the Island so it's really interesting to hear what additional features the up market trucks have compared to the 105. I learn a little something about what I'm missing out on every week (not that I would upgrade to a Lexus or IFS Toyota due to the challenges of living so remotely. Less is more here as it's so hard to fix anything that's broken)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom