Stuck wrecked oil filter on 3B (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Silly me was hoping for a nice straightforward first oil change...

But the previous %#$@&! genius had other plans. It looks like he tightened it with a 500 ft-lb impact driver.

I put a copper pipe on the handle of the wrench for more leverage and it collapsed the can. There are lots of tips out there on what to do but has anyone done this on a 3B before?

20200530_172347.jpg

You might be able to increase the frictional grip on the filter by using more than one oil filter wrench. Or maybe fix the filter wrench on the edge at the other end.

I do them hand tight, its all they need

Now that its collapsing it wont grab anymore. Maybe I could whack on the upper outer rim with a hammer and big flathead screwdriver to try to separate the gasket a bit. But I dont want to damage the mount in any way.

20200530_185553.jpg

Worst case just stab a big fat screwdriver through the can. You’ll have to pound it in. Then turn it loose. Not pretty and you may have to stab through it several times. It’ll work tho, I’ve done it

Worst case just stab a big fat screwdriver through the can. You’ll have to pound it in. Then turn it loose. Not pretty and you may have to stab through it several times. It’ll work tho, I’ve done it

Haha! And I thought I was the only one who has resorted to that! :D

The screw driver trick works really well. Use the biggest flat head you have. Pound it right through the middle of the filter till it comes out the other side. Now your filter has a handle! :lol: Usually even if you can turn it just a little it's enough to break it loose so it can be done by hand.

clean the oil off it so your strap wrench can get some grip, and put it around the flange end of the filter, you won't collapse that.

A chain works better as it is adjustable and put it closer to the base, I would not wack it, might shear something or crack.

Got it. I didn't poke a screwdriver through it which is good because it would have just shredded it. I managed to get better purchase up at the base. Those hard brake lines around there made it hard to get a good leverage. I was lucky enough to have a 4' metal pole with a rod sticking out the end. I put this into the handle of the wrench, from the front of the vehicle. I whacked it hard with a rubber mallet. It didn't seem to move. I went back underneath and used my hands to pull the wrench in various places. I thought I was going to break the wrench. It wasn't moving. Or was it...

Was that a tiny fraction of a degree it turned? Or was it just the oil filter deforming? It kept happening, fraction of a degree by fraction of a degree. Eventually after my arms were sore and scratched up it came free.

20200531_180107.jpg

Now, let's take a moment of silence to remember that a film of oil must be put on the filter's gasket and the filter must be aimed by hand without really forcing too much!

How much turn past first contact do you recommend? My 4runner oil filter came loose because I didn't tighten it enough... :oops:

Instructions seem to loose for me (when first contact 3/4 turn more) because it seems anoter full turn is possible, but if it end up to tight with this tool it always comes loose:

2_e531539ce74e60ef8a0161fdae198756.jpg

adapter can release (HJ) :

2_ba53b6fef25a2e7897777deabb48fe62.jpg

2_0d5328c0bc102677aaea66dc1bde4e27.jpg

2_3a0cba0ea313d6c661ce31c056213541.jpg

Last edited:
So to wrap up this story the old oil filter gasket was totally dry.

20200601_180303.jpg

Glad you worked it through. Sometimes these beasts just need their pound of flesh before they give in....
But that's what makes working on these so very satisfying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom