Strawberry milkshake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Add another strawberry milkshake to the list... I have a 2001 4runner I bought in October with 148k miles. Had every intention of getting an external trans cooler this spring but failure beat me to the "preventative repair" I had planned...
I bought a master rebuild kit from the dealer and have a shop to do the rebuild

but my question is do I need to replace the 3 solenoids and torque converter?

All the threads I have read usually ends in buying a salvaged transmission (I have searched multiple forums before posting this)

Looking to pull the transmission this weekend so any answers or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks

I did pick up a brand new koyo radiator and a b & m external cooler. Once I get it all fixed and running again I'll let everyone know how the set up is running if they have questions

Add another strawberry milkshake to the list... I have a 2001 4runner I bought in October with 148k miles. Had every intention of getting an external trans cooler this spring but failure beat me to the "preventative repair" I had planned...
I bought a master rebuild kit from the dealer and have a shop to do the rebuild

but my question is do I need to replace the 3 solenoids and torque converter?

All the threads I have read usually ends in buying a salvaged transmission (I have searched multiple forums before posting this)

Looking to pull the transmission this weekend so any answers or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks

I did pick up a brand new koyo radiator and a b & m external cooler. Once I get it all fixed and running again I'll let everyone know how the set up is running if they have questions
When it happened to me i replaced the radiator, than i just flushed my transmission really well and it has been fine. It took about 30 quarts. I have put about 2000 miles on it since. I may flush it again just to be extra safe now it has a few miles on it.

I hope it's not too late to tell you to stop on the possible rebuild,@White Stripe have a good point on just flushing the trans. and see what happens. i have a 99 T4R and still have the original trans. at 275k miles.

When it happened to me i replaced the radiator, than i just flushed my transmission really well and it has been fine. It took about 30 quarts. I have put about 2000 miles on it since. I may flush it again just to be extra safe now it has a few miles on it.
I just dropped the transmission today and sent it to the shop, for peace of mind that it wouldn't break down on me in a few thousand miles

I just purchased a 2001 taco with 120 k, after selling a 2001 4rnr that the owner before me had to replace the trans in because of this issue. Is this problem a 3.4 issue that I need to fix or is it a 4 runner issue?

I just purchased a 2001 taco with 120 k, after selling a 2001 4rnr that the owner before me had to replace the trans in because of this issue. Is this problem a 3.4 issue that I need to fix or is it a 4 runner issue?
I only did research on 4Runners and don't remember seeing anything about tacos. I'd imagine if the transmission cooler is built into the radiator than it has the potential to fail. A good external trans cooler costs about $80. For peace of mind I'd either replace the radiator all together or atleast get the external cooler. Lot cheaper and easier than replacing a transmission. Just my thoughts though, no expert

Whic
I only did research on 4Runners and don't remember seeing anything about tacos. I'd imagine if the transmission cooler is built into the radiator than it has the potential to fail. A good external trans cooler costs about $80. For peace of mind I'd either replace the radiator all together or atleast get the external cooler. Lot cheaper and easier than replacing a transmission. Just my thoughts though, no expert

Which trans cooler did you use?

I picked up the b&m 70268 super cooler. I haven't hooked it up yet, transmission was just finished getting rebuilt the other day and have to pick it up and reinstall it. But I was happy with the quality of the cooler when I was looking at it, straight forward instalation. I'll update when I get it running.

Whic

Which trans cooler did you use?
I picked up the b&m 70268 super cooler. I haven't hooked it up yet, transmission was just finished getting rebuilt the other day and have to pick it up and reinstall it. But I was happy with the quality of the cooler when I was looking at it, straight forward instalation. I'll update when I get it running.

I hope it's not too late to tell you to stop on the possible rebuild,@White Stripe have a good point on just flushing the trans. and see what happens. i have a 99 T4R and still have the original trans. at 275k miles.
,just saw this... Yea i was considering just flushing it, but I bought this car to be a solid daily driver and wanted to just be certain I'll never be sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow, I've experienced it a few times and it sucks that 275k miles is exactly why I bought a 4runner! I was seeing them all day with 300k+ miles when I was looking, pretty impressive

To update on the reason for the original post, my transmission guy is telling me the solenoids are still working after he cleaned them (was looking for corrosion). The torque converter was a different story, he flushed it multiple times and still had anti freeze coming out so he eventually sent it out to be taken apart and cleaned (guess remanufactered?). Didn't cost too much. He was worried about the anti freeze in the t/c due to it turning to steam and condensation when it heats up which would lead to corrosion and seals swelling.

Long story short it seems as though solenoids are reusable and t/c's may need extensive flushing or remanufactering/replacing.

I say just get a replacement T/C your the clutch inside could be toast. Most solenoids can survive some water intrusion a good flush will take care of it. My 4Runner had it's engine replaced with a reman. engine at 245k both heads was cracked and I'm not going to bolt on a set of heads on a 200k miles engine block I have seen too many failures.

I say just get a replacement T/C your the clutch inside could be toast. Most solenoids can survive some water intrusion a good flush will take care of it. My 4Runner had it's engine replaced with a reman. engine at 245k both heads was cracked and I'm not going to bolt on a set of heads on a 200k miles engine block I have seen too many failures.
They took apart the t/c and rebuilt it, I'm not too familiar with how torque converters work though, this is my first automatic.

Just an update. Got the transmission put in last weekend. Have 148,000 miles on the 4runner so we'll see how long everything holds up. All said and done I put about $2000 into it. This was for a rebuild kit from the dealer. Could've saved about $400 and got an aftermarket rebuild kit but I wanted oem. It runs great. Surprisingly it took a good bit of flushing the engine block to get the strawberry milkshake out but that is also all cleaned out now, going to do a radiator flush in 1000 miles just to get any residuals out.

Next on the list is the Tundra Brake Upgrade!

Post some pics when it happens.

Just finished a couple hours ago, still working on a leak I have on both sides of the rear axle so haven't been able to drive it yet but should be on the road tomorrow
DSC_0077.JPG
DSC_0078.JPG
DSC_0075.JPG

@Jay5291 Would you happen to have the kit number from Amazon? Very nice job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom