Strange Noise in Dash of '16 Sequoia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I typically only live in the LC 60 wagon forum, but...

I have a '16 Sequoia that has the most bizarre noise associated with the air system in the dash. It only occurs in the hottest most humid time of the year in AZ. It sounds like a rather loud wild bird call. I'm not kidding. It last about 1.5 seconds and has a distinct rising/swooping pitch. It sounds as if it originates from in the driver side dash somewhere in the cabin air system. It has been a kind of funny thing we laugh about on the road, but I should probably get it taken care of before the extended warranty expires. Problem is I've talked to nobody that has ever heard this problem. I would think that it is the hinge on a damper or mixer.

Anybody have any ideas? Anybody know where I can find a breakout/schematic of the cabin air system?

Thanks

Probably a screaming mouse…
Pull the cabin filter, see if it changes.

I've owned my 08 for 5 years now and it has always "whistled" out of the vent left of the radio when you turn the fan up mid way or higher. I still haven't taken it apart to figure out why, but just attributed it to a misaligned air duct or something.

Hi guys, I typically only live in the LC 60 wagon forum, but...

I have a '16 Sequoia that has the most bizarre noise associated with the air system in the dash. It only occurs in the hottest most humid time of the year in AZ. It sounds like a rather loud wild bird call. I'm not kidding. It last about 1.5 seconds and has a distinct rising/swooping pitch. It sounds as if it originates from in the driver side dash somewhere in the cabin air system. It has been a kind of funny thing we laugh about on the road, but I should probably get it taken care of before the extended warranty expires. Problem is I've talked to nobody that has ever heard this problem. I would think that it is the hinge on a damper or mixer.

Anybody have any ideas? Anybody know where I can find a breakout/schematic of the cabin air system?

Thanks
I just bought a ‘18 TRD Sport and hearing the same thing. At first I thought it was one of my kids with their tablets. I‘m going to follow this thread to see if you figure it out.

Just back from road trip vacation in hot climate, and I learned a good bit...likely narrowing down the problem.

What I did to pre-empt/test my theory that this is a blender door on the driver side, I adjusted the driver side temp to "Lo" (max cold). I modulated the manual flow limiters on the two vents for comfort. With about 20 hours of driving, not a peep. So this tends to suggest that I took away the need for something to move to modulate temperature in the dash. Now the question is what exactly. I've got my mechanic digging up a depiction of the system in the dash so we can start to connect some dots.

Last edited:
Just back from road trip vacation in hot climate, and I learned a good bit...likely narrowing down the problem.

What I did to pre-empt/test my theory that this is a blender door on the driver side, I adjusted the driver side temp to "Lo" (max cold). I modulated the manual flow limiters on the two vents for comfort. With about 20 hours of driving, not a peep. So this tends to suggest that I took away the need for something to move to modulate temperature in the dash. Now the question is what exactly. I've got my mechanic digging up a depiction of the system in the dash so we can start to connect some dots.
Any updates on this? Every once in a while I’ll still get a noise from underneath the dash.

I chatted with a fellow in the supermarket parking lot on the weekend who has an '18 Sequoia. I asked him if he has any air conditioning issues. He said he has a...squeak from time to time. I mimicked the sound, and he said "That's it."

So this is not a one-off. I had the local dealer look for Toyota bulletins on it today. There is no specific actuator or anything in bulletins. They do say that they do have to replace actuators in them. The problem for this issue for me is duplicating it. They may have to drive around a half hour before it might do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom