Strange hazard switch behavior (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did NOT say that it could be the trailer harness.
Given the original description of the issue, something is supplying voltage to the supply side (pin 2) of the flasher relay causing it to flash with the ignition off. It has to be coming from pin 7 of the hazard switch because nothing else in that circuit is hot with the ignition off.
Even if the brake lamp circuit (constant hot) was backfeeding into this circuit, the lamps might illuminate, but the flasher relay wouldn't fire.
The hazard switch is the main component in this circuit. With that removed, there can be no turn signals or 4 ways.

My apologies @jonheld. I misquoted you. How can I test the hazard switch with this problem being intermittent?

My apologies @jonheld. I misquoted you. How can I test the hazard switch with this problem being intermittent?
LOL. That's the rub. You can't fix something that isn't broken. If and when it happens again you will have to troubleshoot.

Looking at this circuit again. I'm wrong about the previous post.
What triggers the flash relay is current draw. I believe the internals of the flash relay are jumped between pins 1 and 2. However, even with a faulty trailer harness, there is still no connection to cause the flash relay to fire.
I've been staring at this too long now. Off to bed.

Last edited:
Looking at this circuit again. I'm wrong about the previous post.
What triggers the flash relay is current draw. I believe the internals of the flash relay are jumped between pins 1 and 2. It is possible that a faulty Hoppy harness can cause this.

Well, let's hope that true. The control box was swollen so I removed the entire harness and plug. I'll get a new one if I reinstall my hitch.
At least one possibility is now resolved. Thanks for your help.

It's possible the trailer wiring harness that is known to fail could be doing this.

I'm going to have to bail on this one. I'm not an electrician. There are others here better suited than I.

@jonheld ?

Thanks to @BILT4ME for the idea about the trailer harness. I think that may be problem. 👍

New problem arose. After taking out the trailer wiring harness, I now find that my turn signals (Right and left) flash 2x faster than the hazard flashers. Normally, they both flash at the same speed. Is the next step change the turn signal relay flasher? Is that the same relay flasher as the hazard relay flasher? Or, is this likely a burned out turn signal bulb?

Last edited:
New problem arose. After taking out the trailer wiring harness, I now find that my turn signals (Right and left) flash 2x faster than the hazard flashers. Normally, they both flash at the same speed. Is the next step change the turn signal relay flasher? Is that the same relay flasher as the hazard relay flasher? Or, is this likely a burned out turn signal bulb?
If BOTH flash faster, it's because there is less load and may need a new flasher if ALL is plugged back in. If one side flashes faster than the other, then it's because one bulb is burned out.

If the trailer harness is out, did you plug in the rear harness so you have all the rear bulbs working again?

If BOTH flash faster, it's because there is less load and may need a new flasher if ALL is plugged back in. If one side flashes faster than the other, then it's because one bulb is burned out.

If the trailer harness is out, did you plug in the rear harness so you have all the rear bulbs working again?

Here is where the trailer harness connectors attached to the OEM connectors. I didn't install the trailer harness. Should there be 3 other connectors that connect to these 3 now empty connectors? You are correct, none of the rear bulbs work except brake lights.

Trailer harness.JPG

Here is where the trailer harness connectors attached to the OEM connectors. I didn't install the trailer harness. Should there be 3 other connectors that connect to these 3 now empty connectors? You are correct, none of the rear bulbs work except brake lights.

View attachment 2267612
When I replaced my harness (I bought it from eTrailer.com) I was going to bypass it for a while, but then realized that nothing worked without it. So, I had to buy a new harness. My OEM one was swelled up like yours. I would assume that is your issue, and it's not too expensive to replace it anyway.

When I replaced my harness (I bought it from eTrailer.com) I was going to bypass it for a while, but then realized that nothing worked without it. So, I had to buy a new harness. My OEM one was swelled up like yours. I would assume that is your issue, and it's not too expensive to replace it anyway.

Argh:mad: Probably easiest to just replace the harness. Thank you for you help. I'll buy a new harness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom