Store Propane in the Landcruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks, just wanted to check I wasn't doing something stupid here..

Is it safe to store those little coleman propane canisters for the grill inside the truck? My truck sits in the blazing Texas sun when not in use - I want to be sure I'm not going to have it explode or something!

Is it safe to store those little coleman propane canisters for the grill inside the truck? My truck sits in the blazing Texas sun when not in use - I want to be sure I'm not going to have it explode or something!
I wouldn't store the canisters in your truck this time of year. You're literally playing with a ticking bomb. It warns you on the label "Never store at temperatures above 120* F (49*C)." If it's in the triple digits in ambient air temps, which is common in TX, it's definitely above 120 inside your rig. An Air Force buddy had the handles on his screwdrivers melt in the trunk of his rig down in Corpus Christi back in the 70's. That's pretty damn hot, if you ask me. :hmm:

At the very least - always store and travel with canisters upright, valves on top.
make sure caps are intact.

Damn. That's a lot of research I just wasted time on:

Google:

Your car can get hot enough to melt your chocolate bar and ruin your climbing shoes, but if you use common sense and good judgement, it’s not likely that it will cause your fuel to explode.

It’s rare for camp stove fuel canisters to explode, and when it does happen, it’s usually due to user error. Your camp stove comes with a long set of instructions, often in all capital letters, telling you how to use your stove to avoid risk of injury. It’s more likely that your camp stove fuel will explode because of improper use of a windscreen than from sitting in a hot car in the summer (although even then, the chance of explosion is still small).

Those fuel canisters are hardier than they let on. It’s not as though a self-destruct switch is thrown as soon as the 120 degree mark is reached. That temperature warning is on the low end, but that doesn’t mean that you should disregard it. In fact, you should do everything you can to reduce your fuel canister’s exposure to heat.

Damn. That's a lot of research I just wasted time on:

Google:

Your car can get hot enough to melt your chocolate bar and ruin your climbing shoes, but if you use common sense and good judgement, it’s not likely that it will cause your fuel to explode.

It’s rare for camp stove fuel canisters to explode, and when it does happen, it’s usually due to user error. Your camp stove comes with a long set of instructions, often in all capital letters, telling you how to use your stove to avoid risk of injury. It’s more likely that your camp stove fuel will explode because of improper use of a windscreen than from sitting in a hot car in the summer (although even then, the chance of explosion is still small).

Those fuel canisters are hardier than they let on. It’s not as though a self-destruct switch is thrown as soon as the 120 degree mark is reached. That temperature warning is on the low end, but that doesn’t mean that you should disregard it. In fact, you should do everything you can to reduce your fuel canister’s exposure to heat.

I answered his question as if he was leaving the canisters in the rig for weeks or months at a time, which is my interpretation of the word "store". For short duration of several days or a week or two, I could agree with this article. If I err, I try to err on the safe side, so to me - it sounds like a bad idea. People, here, are free to do what they want.

Thanks all ... yes that is what I was getting at by 'store'. Full time. Sounds like it's not a great idea!

I'll plan to everything loaded EXCEPT the propane, and just move them from the house to the truck when it's time for a trip!

I'll have them sitting upright with the caps on when I travel.

I answered his question as if he was leaving the canisters in the rig for weeks or months at a time, which is my interpretation of the word "store". For short duration of several days or a week or two, I could agree with this article. If I err, I try to err on the safe side, so to me - it sounds like a bad idea. People, here, are free to do what they want.
Yeah wasn't saying anything about your opinion. That was just me looking on Google and reporting it's not the end of the world

I carry 1lb canisters, wrapped in old t-shirts, in my Trasheroo. I just feel safer with them outside, behind the spare tire. Not nearly as hot out there either.
That sounds like a good solution, with the exception of the canisters staying upright. If you think about it, propane tank holders for fenders are on the outside of rigs and are exposed to direct sunlight. But, those larger tanks are more robust and designed to be carried outside - in the elements which include sunlight. Like this:
IMG_1377a.JPG

Why would you want to store them in the landcruiser? There's plenty of other places to store them.

I don't have a rear bumper, or a roof rack... so can't think of anywhere I could store them *on* my my cruiser that wasn't inside.

That sounds like a good solution, with the exception of the canisters staying upright. If you think about it, propane tank holders for fenders are on the outside of rigs and are exposed to direct sunlight. But, those larger tanks are more robust and designed to be carried outside - in the elements which include sunlight. Like this:
View attachment 2331365

The Trasheroo always keeps the canisters upright because I also carry rolls of paper towels and rolls of trash bags to cushion them.

The Trasheroo always keeps the canisters upright because I also carry rolls of paper towels and rolls of trash bags to cushion them.
I've got one of the newer Trasheroo's that have outside web pockets. I believe some of them are just the right size to hold a 1 lb canister and keep it up right.

The pressure inside will go from about 5 bar (70 psi) normally to 11 bar (140 psi), so basically doubles.

propane-vapor-pressure-diagram.png

The pressure inside will go from about 5 bar (70 psi) normally to 11 bar (140 psi), so basically doubles.
According to the logarithmic chart you posted, it would be 70 psi @ 25F and 140 psi @ 55F.
At 120F it's about 300 psi.

It is a good practice in the industry to make things stupid proof , and over engineered
most of all gas tanks .
any leak of gas in a close environment " car " can result in a severe explosion .
However ......
I have a gas tank 5 kg ? ,from Campingaz in my car since 3 years , used only occasionally , and never had any problem .
it does have a antilock valve .
would prefer to have it external , nut don't have any room for that solution .
Personally I won't be worried for the relative high temperature ,inside the car , but for any leak from the valve .
I have also seen tons of gas tanks left under the baking sun in the Sahara region , and never heard of any explosion .
in Africa it is common practice not to transport the gas tanks in the villages , but to roll them on the road , even for km .
never a problem .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom