stopped for some diesel, now there is a terrible whining noise! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am out on the road and it seems to be getting worse, but I stoped filled up and as soon as I got up to speed I heard a loud whinging from what sounds like the rear end.

Here is the scope, 4.10 gears the rear has a low milage third from the front of a 62.
Noise at all speeds but you cant really hear it untill 25+ higher pitch with more speed
Noise is speed related does matter what gear I am in.
Noise only with acceleration or decceleration nothing when in neutrel or when "floating" (not speeding up or slowing down)
Lots of slop in the drivline (again I think that is somewhat normal with the locker?)

When I pulled out of the fuel station I heard a "pop" but thats pretty normal with my lockrite rear end.

Help me brainstorm! Its raining and wet outside :cool:

Check the hoses from your turbocharger to the engine intake and the hoses at the intercooler if you have one. A blown hose will make a high pitched sound.

Not the turbo.

I shouldn't say 'acceleration' it will do it while cruiser but at cruise there is still torque being applied. I sounds like the differential, I just don't know what could happen so suddenly.

Last edited:
UPDATE

UPDATE!

So went to dinner while we where out and when I pulled out the rear end started slipping! thunk thunk, grab. limped back into the spot had the wife apply some torque and the drive line spun so its definitely in the differential.
I pull the drive line and then drove home in 4wd there is no noise coming from the third now.

Possibly thrust washers worn?
Slipping pinion flange?
Locker only has maybe a couple thousand miles on it, few months old. And the gears are OEM and looked perfect when installed a few months back.

Lots of slop in the driveline has nothing to do with a locker

That loud pop you heard could have been a gear tooth breaking off

Pinion flange could be stripped out

Pinion gears (thats the ones in the center of the diff could be shot (but I don't have a lock right so I am not sure you still have them)

Only way to really know is to start tearing into it

Tony

Yea I'm glad I know where it is, when I posted I was afraid it was the splitcase or tranny. At least the rear end is easier to deal with. Got her home with no noise so I'll tear into it tomorrow and let yah know what's up. I am suspection the ring or pinion broke a tooth, but first maybe the pinion bearing went out causing the noise then destruction. We will know soon enough, could be thrust washers but that wouldnt explain the noise.

Possibly the pinion nut loosened-up, so your pinion is shifting position and causing binding?

Possibly the pinion nut loosened-up, so your pinion is shifting position and causing binding?

Good thought, but I checked that. The pinions locknut is still where I left it.

I will find out soon enough but the only thing I can get to make since in my head with the noise and slipping would be the pinon bearing going out causing noise, then allowing the pinion to pull away from the ring gear and slip.

I report back today when I open her up.:cheers:

I've got my fingers crossed for you Snow. Hopefully, it is something minor that came loose. I have an extra third member (3.70 though). If you need to borrow it for a few weeks to keep her on the road give me a shout.

What did the oil look like when drained?

good luck

Thanks, I will know here in a few hours.

I've got my fingers crossed for you Snow. Hopefully, it is something minor that came loose. I have an extra third member (3.70 though). If you need to borrow it for a few weeks to keep her on the road give me a shout.

I appreciate it wyo.

What did the oil look like when drained?

Havnt got there yet, got her home on the front drive line ill pul her into the shop in a few hours and*probably find a shot pinion bearing and fingers crossed no broken teeth!

IMAG1809.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom