Stock speakers/amp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I read in the FAQ that the speakers in the GX do not have many replacement options because of the amp used. How hard would it be to put a different amp in that supports normal speakers? I’m not very familiar with stereos. My speakers are toast tho so I would like to start the conversion

There's a few threads on this topic. I believe there's a difference between models with the Mark Levinson system and those without. Quick search leads here: GX470 non-nav speakers
As I understand it, the entire system (speakers, amp, wires...) is all based on a different ohm value making switching just one component difficult.

That’s what I read as well. I didn’t realize the wiring would have to be changed as well. I was thinking maybe it wouldn’t be hard to do just the amp and speakers

I'm not an audio guy. If you have just one or two blown speakers (front door woofers I'm guessing?) you can find replacements with some trouble. I suppose you could use typical speakers and add resistors in line to protect the rest of the circuit. How it affects the speaker or sound is beyond me.

I read in the FAQ that the speakers in the GX do not have many replacement options because of the amp used. How hard would it be to put a different amp in that supports normal speakers? I’m not very familiar with stereos. My speakers are toast tho so I would like to start the conversion

Very doable, I know cuz I did it!

You could also just add your own headunit, amp and speakers. It's much more work but after that if anything needs replacing its all readily available and options are endless.

The OEM stereo does not have low level / RCA output so you need an OEM audio integration module that combine all those speaker output level signal and process it to low level signal to be able to add regular amplifier. The problem I found is you ability to lose fader from head unit. You have to do it from the OEM integration module or manual amp tuning.
Screenshot_20200730-205132.jpg

oem integration at Crutchfield
There are a lot of brands that make this OEM integration module.

If you have nav system it's better to do non nav conversion so you could install a regular head unit with RCA unit.

Never met anyone who gave two sh*ts about a fader, but the OEM onscreen fader works perfectly fine with the PAC audio adapter. I set the fader to the center and tune the speaker rows using the amp gains. I rarely have passengers and I didn't build this system for enjoyment from the back seats, so they get fill volume and that's it. The non-Nav conversion is ridiculously expensive, this adapter was "only" $200. And with the JL Audio bluetooth adapter I added, the system is as modern as any except for maybe the ones that run Android apps. I simply added SiriusXM and called it a day.

So can I search for 4ohm speakers and just swap them out? I found plenty. I’m guessing it’s not that simple

So can I search for 4ohm speakers and just swap them out? I found plenty. I’m guessing it’s not that simple

No. The ML speakers are 8-ohm. The amp will not be happy running 4-ohm speakers. I used the PAC integration module which intercepts the audio signal between the head unit and amp and converts to 6 RCAs. I then installed a JBL 5-channel amp, all new speakers, and a bandpass subwoofer. The ML amplifier is still in place, but now it only powers the center channel to announce GPS directions and bluetooth phone conversations.

Never met anyone who gave two sh*ts about a fader, but the OEM onscreen fader works perfectly fine with the PAC audio adapter. I set the fader to the center and tune the speaker rows using the amp gains. I rarely have passengers and I didn't build this system for enjoyment from the back seats, so they get fill volume and that's it. The non-Nav conversion is ridiculously expensive, this adapter was "only" $200. And with the JL Audio bluetooth adapter I added, the system is as modern as any except for maybe the ones that run Android apps. I simply added SiriusXM and called it a day.

Previous owner install kicker integration kit, 4 channel Alpine amp, amplified 6" bazooka tubes and some aftermarket speaker. The staging never sounds right. They must spend a lot of money redoing the stereo and it sound meh.

I just did non nav conversion and it sound really bad. Then wire the RCA direct to amp while the bazooka still goes to OEM integration module. Still sounds bad and found out the Android head unit does not send low frequency signal as it is. I have to change the sub channel output to combined full spectrum signal and adjust frequency cut off at the bazooka amp. Now it sounds really good and the bass hits hard for no additional investment. I am no audiophile and this is been a headache project that start from simple aliexpress android head unit order. The previous install looks somewhat professional so it's not a cheap install. I would be very disappointed I am the one paying for the installation. The sound staging and frequency response was terrible.

Previous owner install kicker integration kit, 4 channel Alpine amp, amplified 6" bazooka tubes and some aftermarket speaker. The staging never sounds right. They must spend a lot of money redoing the stereo and it sound meh.

I just did non nav conversion and it sound really bad. Then wire the RCA direct to amp while the bazooka still goes to OEM integration module. Still sounds bad and found out the Android head unit does not send low frequency signal as it is. I have to change the sub channel output to combined full spectrum signal and adjust frequency cut off at the bazooka amp. Now it sounds really good and the bass hits hard for no additional investment. I am no audiophile and this is been a headache project that start from simple aliexpress android head unit order. The previous install looks somewhat professional so it's not a cheap install. I would be very disappointed I am the one paying for the installation. The sound staging and frequency response was terrible.

Sounds like the Kicker module ain't that great. The PAC adapter decodes the digital signal meant for the ML amp and converts to a standard 6-channel deck output. There IS some fine tuning available via USB if desired, but I left mine default and am thrilled with the results. My fader/balance are centered as are my BASS/MID/TREB and I have crisp highs, warm mids, and punchy mid bass from the doors and a nice <80hz from my 12" sub. If I need to boost or attenuate anything from my 3-way component system up front, I have a [-3db/flat/+3db] for the mids and tweets separately. As it so happens, everything is set to flat and sounds great.

z00t3ch, this is probably a stupid question, but I don’t know jack about audio engineering. If someone has a nav & ml setup, and opts to use the pac unit, what’s the best way to get audio from a phone or mobile device to the amp?
The approach you describe seems a lot more manageable than the non-nav conversion (no hunting down a compatible hvac unit, gutting the center console and having to re-wire the steering wheel controls and all that). Yet it allows for the replacement of the ml speakers and to bypass the ml amp.

This + playing audio from a phone or tablet is really all I want (no desire for an expensive head unit or shoddy Ali express Android one).

Would a Bluetooth connection from phone to amp, or from phone to nav unit (like one of the units that replaces the cd changer) be the best?

If someone has a nav & ml setup, and opts to use the pac unit, what’s the best way to get audio from a phone or mobile device to the amp?

I'm aware not all GXs have them, but mine has a 3.5mm Aux-in from the factory. During my PAC adapter install, I also installed a JL Audio bluetooth adapter that simply plugs into this input (I later unplugged it in favor of a SiriusXM unit).

***EDIT***

It IS possible to wire the JL Audio bluetooth adapter I have through a basic volume knob and then directly to an aftermarket amp. You can leave the ML amp in place and redirect the NAV/HANDSFREE to the center channel like I did, then just pair your phone to the BT adapter and play all your music through it.

Last edited:
No. The ML speakers are 8-ohm. The amp will not be happy running 4-ohm speakers.

Can you swap in 8 ohm speakers directly then? I’d like to not have to do anything beyond just replacing speakers. Now I do have to PX6 android radio that has its own amp so does that change anything?

Here is some 8 ohm speakers on crutchfield:

Can you swap in 8 ohm speakers directly then? I’d like to not have to do anything beyond just replacing speakers. Now I do have to PX6 android radio that has its own amp so does that change anything?

Technically, yes. Successfully, maybe.

Mark Levinson is the home theater guru at Harmon Kardon. 8ohm speakers are typically found in the home. I believe he chose them because they are more difficult to push, and therefore don't get out of control and distort as easily as 4ohm. As jenky as some think the ML system is, it is actually very well thought out and mine sounded damn respectable right up until the surrounds gave out from age. Replacing the speakers willy nilly with new ones that just happen to fit will be a crapshoot. There are so many other parameters to speakers besides size and impedance. Getting it right by accident after all the fine tuning and design that originally went into the system would be a borderline miracle.

Technically, yes. Successfully, maybe.

Mark Levinson is the home theater guru at Harmon Kardon. 8ohm speakers are typically found in the home. I believe he chose them because they are more difficult to push, and therefore don't get out of control and distort as easily as 4ohm. As jenky as some think the ML system is, it is actually very well thought out and mine sounded damn respectable right up until the surrounds gave out from age. Replacing the speakers willy nilly with new ones that just happen to fit will be a crapshoot. There are so many other parameters to speakers besides size and impedance. Getting it right by accident after all the fine tuning and design that originally went into the system would be a borderline miracle.
It's kinda why I want to find some Klipsch or JBL home speakers and just put them in. At least I know the quality is top notch then. They don't make a 6x9 though so I'd have to use 6.5's.

If anyone has suggestions on speakers that are a straight swap out that would be great. I’m not at all interested in getting a new head unit or re-wiring everything. My speakers are just in bad shape and I would like decent sound

As jenky as some think the ML system is, it is actually very well thought out and mine sounded damn respectable

I’m an audiophile, well a non-car audio one anyway. The ML system for a car audio system is pretty damn good. The only car audio system I’ve heard in person better is the Bang & Olufsen in the Bentley Conti GT. But I digress. :)

While my ML speakers don’t appear to have any problems, in fact they sound damn good for car audio playing lossless FLACs through my android radio and at some point they just might have the usual reported problems given the age of the vehicle and another year or two of hot Texas heat before we move to Idaho. I should be ok with using 6.5’s in place of 6x9’s if they are decent and could be made to work. It’s my wife’s rig so the audio quality doesn’t have to be brilliant but it has to be decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom