Stock shocks or something else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Want to replace the shocks on my '04 stock street cruiser. Has almost 170k on what I'm sure are the original OEM units. Rarely go off road. Pull a 4000+ lb boat about 8 miles to lake regularly in summer.

The replacement Toyota OEM units are the right price and seem to have held up well.

Any reason to go to something else based on my needs?

Stick with OEM, if you are worried about rear end sag look into air bags, they are also super cheap and do a great job of keeping the rear end up.

I also have an 04 and I replaced the rear springs as well. That alone gave me almost an inch of lift which shows the rear springs really compressed over time.

Hi, where are you getting the OEM shocks quote for $34? I was quoted for 2001LC Front shocks $76 each & rear shocks $82 each and springs $200 each by Toyota in Tempe, AZ.

Hi, where are you getting the OEM shocks quote for $34? I was quoted for 2001LC Front shocks $76 each & rear shocks $82 each and springs $200 each by Toyota in Tempe, AZ.
Or you can contact @murf at Camelback Toyota on 16th Street & Camelback. They offer great pricing and have one of the best service centers I have ever had to deal with.

I replaced all mine with OEMs and I'm lifted (slightly) with front and rear bumpers, winch, sliders, skid plate - and it rides great. I off road with it fairly regularly, works great. Zero complaints. If I didn't offroad there's zero reason I'd consider anything else...

Cool, OEM it is for my needs.... Now I just need to figure out if I can really access that stupid top nut on the rears!

Camelback Toyota, worth the drive from anywhere in the valley!!! See the Copper State Cruisers club section for details. Web site has discount prices as well, and free shipping on orders over $150.

I just ordered the OEM shocks from camelback toyota website - good online prices and detail parts diagrams. Thank you so much for the information and money savings - a very happy thanksgiving to all forum members!

Why don't you change the shock to old man emu shocks. They are firm. Plus why don't you import a fzj100 LHD to the USA. They have a better suspension and are much rougher. So much better to drive. Or just take some 80 axles and replace it. I want some help to do this. I want to replace it with 80 axles. I want to import a FZJ100. It has ifs. So you can import it.

Is there a solid DIY link that people like for replacing stock shocks with OEM? What is the difficulty level and what special tools make the job easier or are required? I have 197K on original shocks in my 2003! Sorry to repost but I accidentally deleted it.

Another plug for Camelback Toyoyta

Quick Order
Part Number 4851169585
Part Name ABSORBER SET SHOCK
MSRP $47.18
Core
$0.00
Online Price
$34.60
Thanks everyone - I'm looking at a refresh also @ 157k miles on my '99. In addition to the shocks and perhaps springs, what else would you replace once you're in there, LC Phil and other posters who have completed this project? Any other bushings, etc. to refresh as de facto suspension improvements on our aging LCs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom