steering wheel turning on its own while driving.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wife just called me and told me the steering wheel wants to turn in some other direction or suddenly got stiff and started beeping when she was getting onto highway...I've never had that before and since I'm not in the car so I have no idea. Anyone heard of this? The only thing I can think of is maybe the VSC or traction was trying to correct the wheels? I have no idea, but then the lights show flash, according to her, no warning lights on dashboard. Any idea? Thanks.

Had a similar experience myself when I had just purchased my LX. Luckily driving inside my neighborhood at low speed. Steering wheel started spinning freely and there was a beeping sound and no lights came on. I stopped the vehicle immediately and the steering wheel did not work just spun (did not turn the wheels at all). Had my mechanic come and tow it to his shop. Later told me that there was a piece inside the steering column that has "teeth" and had been worn out. He replaced the piece and all has been good since.
Hope this helps guide whomever works on your truck.

one of the many ways LXs are superior. Seriously though, techstream can help. AND , there are posts here that explain it.

Last edited:
Thanks RP, hopefully it didn't break the bank? I'm going to check with my my mechanic tomorrow.

Does this happen to older cruisers? Mine is 2005. Did they actually build an audible warning for this? Is this dangerous? Is there any threads I can read up on this? Totally new to me.

I have two LX over 220k miles (99, 2000) First I’m hearing of this. Subscribed.
let us know where this goes.

Thanks RP, hopefully it didn't break the bank? I'm going to check with my my mechanic tomorrow.
It involves taking off the steering wheel, airbag, etc. but I don’t think you have to remove the column. Mechanic labor costs here are less expensive (except at the dealer) so it wasn’t much. Quite the scare though, even at low speed. Sorry I can’t remember the part name. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

This is so strange. Shouldn't this be a recall? My wife drove the car back and had no issues. Is this something that just pops up out of nowhere?

This is so strange. Shouldn't this be a recall? My wife drove the car back and had no issues. Is this something that just pops up out of nowhere?

Haven't heard of anything like that before. It is especially curious since it is intermittent. IF it were a mechanical issue (stripped intermediate shaft spline, spines in steering wheel) seems it would be present all the time (or will be soon).

I can see if VSC/Traction Control were somehow activated how that might cause what she experienced. Don't know if there might be any 'stored/pending' trouble codes to be recovered with a scanner that might give you a clue. The 'beeping' sound....I have no idea.

Doesn't sound like the steering wheel came loose. Are you in a rusty part of the country? I'm wondering if a wheel speed sensor is the culprit.

X2 on a wheel speed sensor. Most likely a front sensor.

I can see how a sensor would have been set off when my steering wheel lost "contact" with the rest of the system and just spun freely, so I would check that as a possible culprit. I did get a warning sound when it happened, but no dash lights.

I would check the wheel speed sensor. Something similar happened to me. When I first got my LC, I was on a curvy mountain road, the car started beeping, and the steering started to turn on its own. It was the traction control kicking. It happened intermittently after that. I used Techstream to figure out that the right front wheel speed sensor was not working properly. Had it replaced and all is good now.

Like was said before, if it was mechanical within the steering column, the problem would likely persist. But since it is intermittent, I think it is likely a wheel speed sensor. It was a couple hundred bucks worth of genuine toyota parts and my local mechanic. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom