Steering Wheel Shimmy related to wheel balance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings... I'm considering the purchase of a new or newer GX in the near future, and I'm coming from a 5th Gen 4Runner (2014). Lots of 5th Gen 4R owners report steering wheel shimmy at highway speeds with various brands and types of tires. Most - but not all - seem to find some level of resolution once their tires are properly balanced. I've had the same problem with mine. My question is... I don't see a lot of the same complaints or concerns here with the GX 460, even though they are pretty much the same platform. Is there something different about the GX suspension / alignment setup that makes the shimmy less of an issue? Or am I just not looking in the right places for the complaints? Before I sign up for another hitch with a 150 platform, I'd like to know what to expect. TIA.

Shimmys and wheel balance will occur on any vehicle, but are more likely to occur with larger tires. The suspension on the 5th gen T4R and GX460 is an pretty much the same design, other than the shocks and springs.

The trick is finding a shop with good balance equipment that is well-calibrated and knows how to balance larger tires right. I have a local shop that does a great job with my 32" Wildpeaks. Big tires will also require more frequent balances; I typically get mine balanced every 6 months or so. Balance weights also like to fall off, which can also affect the wheel balance. In summary, with any 4X4, find a good tire shop and get your tires balanced often :).

I have about the max suspension lift, 35" tires, last tires were 34", been running this setup for almost 5 years and never had an issue with shimmying at any speed.
In the years I've been on MUD, I have not heard of any issues on this forum either.
You should be fine. 👍

Thread on vibration issues here

Not sure why it's an issue in 4runners but not GXs, but can say that overall GXs ride smoother. Might be the same platform but the GX takes it up a notch suspension and steering wise. The big improvements going from 4runner to GX460 for me were the increased power, the smoother ride, and the quieter cabin. 4runner felt a little weak on the acceleration front and every road imperfection was felt more. GX has a little more oomph and rides very well, comfy and straight at 80-90 on the highway no problem.

Reactions: r2m
Thread on vibration issues here

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom