Steering wheel refurb with leather wrap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
glad to have some Info to give back to the forum, since everyone here has been such a help along the last few months of 100 series ownership.

I’ve seen others looking for steering wheel refurbishment by installing leather wraps or replacing the entire wheel. Last I looked through the usual sources (eBay, etc) a new wheel runs north of $200. Then the install which is easy, but maybe beyond what some feel comfortable with considering the airbag needs to be disconnected, and some lining up of splines. Another route — replacing with stock from a parts vehicles proves to be a nonstarter since most everywhere I’ve seen the wheels available are distressed leather and there’s not much point to replacing trashed with simply less trashed.

Tha leaves aftermarket leather wraps. I found that there are some on the market that wrap the outer round of the steering wheel, but leave the “spoke” parts uncovered. Call me OCD, but that bothers me and looks very “aftermarket” and not in a good way.

Then I found something promising. A wrap on amazon that includes leather cutouts for the spokes. The leather comes in black or brown. The leather can be perforated or smooth.

Here’s the link

Loncky Leather Steering Wheel Cover

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QLYA3XS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_T134BbQZA0KKE

The unique thing is that is that it comes prestiched. Because of this, it can easily be installed as a DIY without removing the wheel. The kit comes with a needle and thread and instructions showing that you loop the thread through the stitching and pull for the wrap to conform to the steering wheel and look factory installed. My experience is going over the existing leather, but it would probably be longer lasting if you cut off the old worn leather first.

Here are pics of it installed, took me 2.5 hrs

99771702-FA61-46FE-9FD4-5DE087733112.jpeg

0F20F801-2AE7-4DDE-B52D-657DDFF194F7.jpeg

2B8B5E81-B44C-4FBB-AD32-B2C54E61ABD6.jpeg

By the way, I have 7k miles on it as the pictures show incase any are wondering about longevity or wear.

I've been considering going that route myself as the wheel in my 100 is pretty worn. Thanks for posting!

Now...if anyone would make a shifter handle leather wrap it would be great. Can’t find one, and used shifters are mostly in bad shape and still north of $150. Anyone with ideas let me know. Mine is currently naked. Local upholstery shop said maybe they’d try it for around $100 plus leather.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.png
glad to have some Info to give back to the forum, since everyone here has been such a help along the last few months of 100 series ownership.

I’ve seen others looking for steering wheel refurbishment by installing leather wraps or replacing the entire wheel. Last I looked through the usual sources (eBay, etc) a new wheel runs north of $200. Then the install which is easy, but maybe beyond what some feel comfortable with considering the airbag needs to be disconnected, and some lining up of splines. Another route — replacing with stock from a parts vehicles proves to be a nonstarter since most everywhere I’ve seen the wheels available are distressed leather and there’s not much point to replacing trashed with simply less trashed.

Tha leaves aftermarket leather wraps. I found that there are some on the market that wrap the outer round of the steering wheel, but leave the “spoke” parts uncovered. Call me OCD, but that bothers me and looks very “aftermarket” and not in a good way.

Then I found something promising. A wrap on amazon that includes leather cutouts for the spokes. The leather comes in black or brown. The leather can be perforated or smooth.

Here’s the link

Loncky Leather Steering Wheel Cover

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QLYA3XS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_T134BbQZA0KKE

The unique thing is that is that it comes prestiched. Because of this, it can easily be installed as a DIY without removing the wheel. The kit comes with a needle and thread and instructions showing that you loop the thread through the stitching and pull for the wrap to conform to the steering wheel and look factory installed. My experience is going over the existing leather, but it would probably be longer lasting if you cut off the old worn leather first.

Here are pics of it installed, took me 2.5 hrs

View attachment 1826686

View attachment 1826687

View attachment 1826688
Did the exact wrap on mine. I love it. Turned out very nice

Now...if anyone would make a shifter handle leather wrap it would be great. Can’t find one, and used shifters are mostly in bad shape and still north of $150. Anyone with ideas let me know. Mine is currently naked. Local upholstery shop said maybe they’d try it for around $100 plus leather.
What’s the naked shifter look like? Mine is starting to split and I’m weighing my options: Re-cover? Remove cover? 3D print replacement knob with cool grip texture? Skull with glowing eyes? Hurst?

I have a 98, so it has the overdrive button on the side and ysome white plastic showing. Otherwise it’s black rubber. Chat about some options...I’d be interested in throwing in on a prototype.

F2BC5CB1-6934-4D6F-8AE7-2BEEEAE3978D.jpeg

I installed the same one on mine. Never used a needle and thread before. Took me a couple attempts to understand the thread pattern and a couple times I skipped a loop to keep the pattern straight. I'm very pleased with the outcome

I have a 98, so it has the overdrive button on the side and ysome white plastic showing. Otherwise it’s black rubber. Chat about some options...I’d be interested in throwing in on a prototype.

View attachment 1826777
Thanks for the pics. Is the black rubber tacky or sticky or otherwise objectionable to the touch?

A 3D-printed solution would be around $150 from a quality printer, i.e. something we'd be happy to look at everyday. But it could also be any shape/texture we want.

A CNC-machined version may actually be cheaper, but coooold to the touch. Again, different shapes are possible.

Does anyone have a 'spare' shift knob lying around that I could use for 3D modelling and dreaming up solutions? Because I have so much spare time...

View attachment 1826777

I went to Tandy leather and bought some 3mm leather from the bargain bin. I think it was black. Since it was square I carefully wrapped it around my shift lever so it looked decent and then secured it II the two zip ties.

I think it cost me nine bucks.

I installed the same one on mine. Never used a needle and thread before. Took me a couple attempts to understand the thread pattern and a couple times I skipped a loop to keep the pattern straight. I'm very pleased with the outcome

I actually looped every stitch which made it look very similar to factory ones I’ve seen, but instructions show to skip every other.

I went to Tandy leather and bought some 3mm leather from the bargain bin. I think it was black. Since it was square I carefully wrapped it around my shift lever so it looked decent and then secured it II the two zip ties.

I think it cost me nine bucks.

I bought some leather and tried cutting and using a method chrisfix uses on steering wheels to stitch but the shifter is stretch fit so it never worked.

Are you still able to use the overdrive and shift buttons? Do you just press through the leather? Pics plz!

Thanks for the pics. Is the black rubber tacky or sticky or otherwise objectionable to the touch?

A 3D-printed solution would be around $150 from a quality printer, i.e. something we'd be happy to look at everyday. But it could also be any shape/texture we want.

A CNC-machined version may actually be cheaper, but coooold to the touch. Again, different shapes are possible.

Does anyone have a 'spare' shift knob lying around that I could use for 3D modelling and dreaming up solutions? Because I have so much spare time...

The rubber isn’t bad. I actually don’t have any complaints except leather is so much nicer to feel and look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom