Steering U joints (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
Not exactly hardcore, but the knowledge base here is more likely to have an answer.

While wheeling yesterday I noticed that my Steering had more slop than it used to. I did some spotting and noticed that the flaming river Steering U joints I used were getting worn out. The bodies and Ears are fine, just the U joints in side the joint were failing. I called Flaming river up and they do not sell just the U joint part.

Now, I have to think that the joints are an off the shelf thing that Flaming river uses. Anyone have a source of where to get them? I can pull the joint apart and go from there, but I'd rather just order them up and swap in a morning.

And why the hell would you not offer a rebuild kit for their joints? I really don't like overly shiny things in my cruiser. And new blinging joints are not high on the list of needs..

If the cost is inconsequential, then I'll just go with new joints. It's not a big deal, just seems weird..

Reactions: SMG
I think I remember that NAPA has them or other parts stores. I do not know the application. Sorry.

Just did a quick search, Borgeson as well, no luck.

Crazy isn't it lol.

Highly unlikely that this is applicable, since these are off the shelf parts from Luke's 'kit' vs. flaming river parts, but I thought I'd post it just in case:

IMG_20131208_200357.jpg

I trashed the u-joint in mine and found several joints that cross referenced with the spicer 5-170X part number at the local Napa.

Have you measured the u joints and then looked over the spicer chart? I'm betting there's something that would work.
Not exactly hardcore, but the knowledge base here is more likely to have an answer.

While wheeling yesterday I noticed that my Steering had more slop than it used to. I did some spotting and noticed that the flaming river Steering U joints I used were getting worn out. The bodies and Ears are fine, just the U joints in side the joint were failing. I called Flaming river up and they do not sell just the U joint part.

Now, I have to think that the joints are an off the shelf thing that Flaming river uses. Anyone have a source of where to get them? I can pull the joint apart and go from there, but I'd rather just order them up and swap in a morning.

And why the hell would you not offer a rebuild kit for their joints? I really don't like overly shiny things in my cruiser. And new blinging joints are not high on the list of needs..

If the cost is inconsequential, then I'll just go with new joints. It's not a big deal, just seems weird..

No I have not had time to pull the steering apart. I may just buy another joint, swap it out and then figure out which joint matches. IIRC most of Flaming rivers stuff uses the same stuff.

Yes sir!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom