Steering still feels loose after all new control arms and tie-rod ends (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like you might want to check what @Ayune suggested.
Well he was right about it being super simple to check! But my shaft moves perfectly with the steering wheel so I guess I can rule that out. Now I need to check the steering rack which means asking my wife for help. 😬

Well he was right about it being super simple to check! But my shaft moves perfectly with the steering wheel so I guess I can rule that out. Now I need to check the steering rack which means asking my wife for help. 😬
Based on these forums it seems a lot less people have issues with the steering column and it more or less relates to worn tie rods, rack bushings, etc.

Easy to check

Or set up your phone or camcorder for video shooting and rock the steering wheel yourself.

Haha. The car I have been driving the last few months is a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT. Certainly not a sports car, but it has a sport steering mode which seems to simulate a tighter steering response. Could be that I just got used to driving that?

Regarding what feels loose, it just seems to feel like when the steering wheel is straight and I turn a few degrees left or right it doesn't respond right away. It does respond, but it just feels like a slight delay. Like I can wobble the wheel back and forth an inch or so in each direction and the rig doesn't really react, or if it does, it's delayed.

I have not replaced the sway bar bushings or the links and they are pretty worn down.
Check out @Ayune 's writeup that he linked. It fixed exactly what you describe in my '99. He shows how to check for the play, and it only takes a minute to see if that's where you have slop.
ETA: never mind. I just saw your reply.

The stock rack bushings are pretty pathetic. Even when new I suspect they give the feel of a rubber steering shaft. I put in some polyurethane bushings and I was blown away at the improvement. Mine had 210k on them when I pulled them out, or rather, allowed the remnants of what once were bushings to fall out.

Well, I finally got under there and had my wife turn the steering wheel and the rack is definitely moving back and forth a bit before the tires start to move. But it's definitely the whole rack that moves back and forth. It's not that big a deal to me, especially if all new bushings aren't going to be a massive improvement.

Last edited:
Well, I finally got under there and had my wife turn the steering wheel and the rack is definitely moving back and forth a bit before the tires start to move. But it's definitely the whole rack that moves back and forth. It's not that big a deal to me, especially if all new bushings aren't going to be a massive improvement.
Bushings will fix that.

Rack bushings seems to be your culprit here.
And I agree with @suprarx7nut 100 series steering while fairly precise and communicative for a 5000 LB truck, will never be among the best steering feels in the business. I alternate between a BMW X5 and my 100 and those two can't be any farther apart in steering feel and ride qualities!

I just did the SuperPro spf2987k rack bushing set in mine at 184k. Made all the difference in the world. No more slop and not a bad install with an air chisel.

So your rack would stay in place (referenced to the bushings) as opposed to @Mike NXP's video where it is moving?
After I replaced the bushings with new poly junkers, yes the rack would stay stationary and wheels wouldn’t move until I turned the steering wheel >1” in either direction.

Just wanted to post an update. I still have that loose feeling but after driving it I think it’s just what it is with this rig and a rack/bushings with 100k.

BUT I think the part with the steering wheel not returning to center might be resolved (or I’m imagining things and it was never an issue.)

I pulled it into the garage and cross-leveled and adjusted pressures with tech stream as one wheel was 3/4” higher. Maybe that wouldn’t matter but it seems to snap back to center a bit better now.

Im back to obsessing over my steering.

More specifically , why would a brand new Toyota steering rack , bushings , hardware ,and tie rods still have about half inch / inch of play ?

Toyota says it's all brand new parts and that's normal of course.

Others on here have said go aftermarket d bushing but I can't justify the labor and cost to do that when I have new parts already installed.

Is there something that needs to be tightened or is the Toyota oem D bushing just crap and allows for play?

Im back to obsessing over my steering.

More specifically , why would a brand new Toyota steering rack , bushings , hardware ,and tie rods still have about half inch / inch of play ?

Toyota says it's all brand new parts and that's normal of course.

Others on here have said go aftermarket d bushing but I can't justify the labor and cost to do that when I have new parts already installed.

Is there something that needs to be tightened or is the Toyota oem D bushing just crap and allows for play?
What size tires are you running? Can you confirm that the rack itself moves when you move the steering wheel?

What size tires are you running? Can you confirm that the rack itself moves when you move the steering wheel?

Stock tire size, no lift.

So with the tires on the ground, you can move the steering wheel slightly and watch the rack move. At highway speeds this play makes it a bit boat like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom