Steering still feels loose after all new control arms and tie-rod ends (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stock tire size, no lift.

So with the tires on the ground, you can move the steering wheel slightly and watch the rack move. At highway speeds this play makes it a bit boat like.

This looks like an issue with the two smaller bushings on the steering rack. The D-shaped bushing seems to be doing it's job just fine. I have poly bushings on my rack (which is original with about 170k miles and 20 years). I went out and tried my steering at different speeds and there is virtually no play at all!

I know, no one here likes the idea of pulling out brand new OEM bushings and replacing them with aftermarket poly ones, but it does look like OEM is too soft and is designed for vibration isolation rather than quick response. The poly bushings are rather inexpensive and take only about 1/2 hour to swap out if you decide to try them.

This looks like an issue with the two smaller bushings on the steering rack. The D-shaped bushing seems to be doing it's job just fine. I have poly bushings on my rack (which is original with about 170k miles and 20 years). I went out and tried my steering at different speeds and there is virtually no play at all!

I know, no one here likes the idea of pulling out brand new OEM bushings and replacing them with aftermarket poly ones, but it does look like OEM is too soft and is designed for vibration isolation rather than quick response. The poly bushings are rather inexpensive and take only about 1/2 hour to swap out if you decide to try them.
Did you notice any additional vibration vs stock?

Did you notice any additional vibration vs stock?
Short answer no.
Long Answer: I run 34.5" E load rating tires on stock AHC suspension. The gigantic side wall on these tires and the hydro-pneumatic suspension soak up minor vibrations from the road.
I also ran the same poly bushings on my 98 LX with 33" tires and aftermarket suspension and about 270K miles on the original rack. I still didn't feel any vibrations.

Short answer no.
Long Answer: I run 34.5" E load rating tires on stock AHC suspension. The gigantic side wall on these tires and the hydro-pneumatic suspension soak up minor vibrations from the road.
I also ran the same poly bushings on my 98 LX with 33" tires and aftermarket suspension and about 270K miles on the original rack. I still didn't feel any vibrations.
Thanks. I have a bit of play in my steering requiring more of corrections about 1/4 to 1/2 inch and I am not sure if that is just the nature of the Lexus steering or bushings or steering rack. Might try bushings first and see if that improves it. Last resort if go to new rack but would hate to do that and not see a difference. Again. Thanks for sharing g your experience.

Thanks. I have a bit of play in my steering requiring more of corrections about 1/4 to 1/2 inch and I am not sure if that is just the nature of the Lexus steering or bushings or steering rack. Might try bushings first and see if that improves it. Last resort if go to new rack but would hate to do that and not see a difference. Again. Thanks for sharing g your experience.
Have you checked your upper steering shaft? There is a thread about some play there and how to fix it.

Wheel bearings?

Recently replaced all four front control arms with new OEM and new OEM frame bushing as well as new 555 tie rod ends (and new OEM CV on passenger side) and the front end feels a little sloppy and loose after getting it back from the alignment shop. Maybe my expectations were not realistic, but I figured with some of these major wear components replaced it would feel tight and responsive? I also haven't driven it in 3 1/2 months while I worked on it, so maybe I forget what it feels like? Something just seems "off" but I can't really tell what that might be.

Everything was tightened down to spec. Front end was lowered onto it's own weight before tightening the sway bar, shocks and control arms.

Any ideas? I do seem to have decent power steering leak coming from the smaller return hose. Would a leaking power steering hose cause anything like this? The steering rack was replaced with OEM at the Lexus dealer about 100,000 miles ago so I *THINK* the rack would likely still be good?

I've just chalked it up to steering rack play. The steering column seems fine with no play. When I turn the wheels and look underneath I see the rack flex a little before the wheels begin to turn. Another member posted a video of a brand new OEM rack doing basically the same thing.

I've just chalked it up to steering rack play. The steering column seems fine with no play. When I turn the wheels and look underneath I see the rack flex a little before the wheels begin to turn. Another member posted a video of a brand new OEM rack doing basically the same thing.
Yeah, great shame on new OEM bushings. The play in them just seems excessive and gives it the boat like feel. I can't justify destroying new bushings and replacing with aftermarket.

Yeah, great shame on new OEM bushings. The play in them just seems excessive and gives it the boat like feel. I can't justify destroying new bushings and replacing with aftermarket.

Did you replace more than just that large D bushing which is shown in your video? That D bushing would not restrict motion in that axial direction.

Did you replace more than just that large D bushing which is shown in your video? That D bushing would not restrict motion in that axial direction.

The entire setup was replaced from the outter tie rods to the rack. All OEM.

The entire setup was replaced from the outter tie rods to the rack. All OEM.
oh wow. Thats surprisingly weak for new bushings. I have poly bushings so im not sure, but do the stock ones have directionality to them? Could they have been put in rotated 90deg off?

oh wow. Thats surprisingly weak for new bushings. I have poly bushings so im not sure, but do the stock ones have directionality to them? Could they have been put in rotated 90deg off?
I had Toyota do this repair, can I visually see that if I remove the skid plate or would it require some wrenching?

Looking at the Febest OEM replacement it looks like they do indeed have directionality to the bushings. They would restrict movement most front to rear, not side to side. I would assume this is by design.
1643924887499.png

Looking at the Febest OEM replacement it looks like they do indeed have directionality to the bushings. They would restrict movement most front to rear, not side to side. I would assume this is by design.
View attachment 2913470
Interesting, you might be on to something if it's easy enough to just have them installed the wrong way. I'll have to do some research on how to check that.

Interesting, you might be on to something if it's easy enough to just have them installed the wrong way. I'll have to do some research on how to check that.
New bushings come pre-installed on the new rack, so if you bought a new rack your bushings are oriented just fine.
Mr.T was definitely aware that steering rack bushings on early 100 series were a weak sauce, so they redesigned the rack to use mich beefier ones from 2003+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom