Steering Squeal Confirmation

I did do a search but I just want to confirm what I've read. . .

Situation: Had steering squeal near ends of turns, changed my belts (all three and OEM) about 2-3 months ago and noise went away. Recently I switched tires from 35s to 37 and during last offroad run steering started to squeal anytime there was extra resistance against the steering (a rock or whatever). Power steering fluid is full and nothing is leaking or anything like that.

My diagnosis: PS belt is now "broken in" and needs to be re-tensioned. :fingers crossed:

Does that sound right? Can you think of anything else it could be?

Appreciate the input!

landtank

SILVER Star

Look to see how warn the pulleys are. On my old 60 the belts would squeel something fierce unless they were quite tight. The main pulley on the crank was well worn and not allowing the belt to seat properly so it slipped quite easily.

By my experience all belts always need re tightening a week or two after installing new. They stretch out to a working length. However, if you need to re-tighten more than once, it's time to look for the reason.

Be sure to store your old belts in the LC. They're easier to find there if you bust one on the road.

Kalawang

Top Bottom