Steering rack bushing replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What a timely posting for me to find. Half of the hard work is already done on mine. Waiting for a power steering line to come in. Ordering a bushing kit today since Im already elbow deep.

Thanks for posting this. I was stumped on the center mount and thought there was no way possible to get that one out. 19mm it is.

raydouble,
Just what to say thanks for the how to guide here it is one of the best that I have seen. For me taking apart the nuts and bolts was really easy, the only issue I have was pressing the bushing back to it place. I'm so glad that I got this done my next project will be LBJ.

What a timely posting for me to find. Half of the hard work is already done on mine. Waiting for a power steering line to come in. Ordering a bushing kit today since Im already elbow deep.

Thanks for posting this. I was stumped on the center mount and thought there was no way possible to get that one out. 19mm it is.

Glad I could help you both.
:cheers:

For what its worth, I just finished removing the old bushings, the new ones should be here in a day or so. I had dropped down the sway bar in mine to get at the rack for a power steering leak. I was able to get to the center 19mm bolt from the rear of the rack with a shallow 6 point socket and ratchet, plus a cheater pipe and there was plenty of room under the trans pan. I tried getting at it from the front with a box wrench and there was just no leverage against the rust demons.

Thanks again for the write up.

I had no problem grabbing the middle 19mm with a 3/8 and shallow 6pt.

I used a 3/4" drive socket to make the pulled. Used a 7/16" bolt. 5" would be the perfect length, I used a 6".

There was a bunch if mud stuck between the rack and frame.

I used a dorman kit from oreillys, it has a lifetime warranty. One bushing bulged out when I tightened down, but I haven't time to fix it today.

don't 'mud and drive
ForumRunner_20110628_133905.jpg
ForumRunner_20110628_133920.jpg
ForumRunner_20110628_133937.jpg

That's just a suggestion for making it easier to take the tires off after you've jacked up the truck. If you wait to loosen the lugs after the tires are in the air, the tire will spin and you may not be able to generate enough torque to break the lug nuts free.

I would consider it if your vehicle has more than 100,000 miles, all the OEM ones will eventually wear out. This kit should last longer than the stock rubber.

I think you misread his question, Ray. He was asking if you need to remove the tires, not if you need to install the kit.

For me, I saw no reason to pull the tires and things went just fine with them on. Might help with pics.

I think you misread his question, Ray. He was asking if you need to remove the tires, not if you need to install the kit.

For me, I saw no reason to pull the tires and things went just fine with them on. Might help with pics.

Removing the tires just makes it easier to handle/move the rack after unbolting it. It isn't necessary.

Do we need to to install this kit?

I don't know how else to interpret this.....maybe he'll come back and explain.

Let me add in the extra words that make that sentence explicit. "Do we need to [do this, which in this case is remove the wheels] to install this kit?" Just say each word in the sentence and it will make sense :)

Getting ready to replace the bushings on the steering rack on my 2000 Tacoma...great procedure write up; pictures are also a big help, Thanks!

The funny thing is that I hadn't realized the current bushings were as bad as they were. I took my truck in to get it aligned and the tech showed me the sloppy play as a result in the worn out bushing and told me that I would have to replace the entire steering rack. I asked him if I could get replacement bushings and he said they didn't make them and that he had the same problem with his Tacoma and had to replace the entire rack...
Spoke with my friend, whom happens to have been a mechanic for more than 25 years and he told me that I could get replacement bushings from Energy Suspension....A $20 fix instead of a $400 repair...

Thank you for taking the time to document this fix. I'm not really good at DIY projects but the description and pictures made me confident and helped me get the job done.

Thanks for taking the time to post these instructions.
I ordered the bushings and printed your pictures for the dealership that did my frame replacement. The mechanic's were impressed and did not charge me to do the swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom