Steering rack bushing replacement (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have had this one bookmarked for some time, and it helped me out many times during the procedure. I just wanted to say thank you for your posting this up.

Like others have said, the alignment shop had said I needed bushings for some time, and I didn't believe them. Boy, was I wrong. What a difference!

I have had this one bookmarked for some time, and it helped me out many times during the procedure. I just wanted to say thank you for your posting this up.

Like others have said, the alignment shop had said I needed bushings for some time, and I didn't believe them. Boy, was I wrong. What a difference!

:beer:
:cheers:

Ran through this today on my 98 4runner, this writeup helped a ton. Thanks!

I ended up being able to pop out the center bushing with some big channel locks and a large socket on top (1 1/4" IIRC).

Also, I bought the bushing kit locally and they ordered the 4runner specific kit which didn't need the extra sleeve that you used. The P/N is 8.10103G for the black bushings. I couldn't find any Teflon grease locally but after some searching I found that Dielectric Grease is the same thing so I used a small tube of that for lube.

Ran through this today on my 98 4runner, this writeup helped a ton. Thanks!

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this with such great details on pictures and writing! I installed my set of bushings today and this helped a lot. It was a tough project but with an extra set of hands to work with me it was a manageable project. :bounce:

:beer:

Thanks for the writeup!

I need to do this. I was reading another post, from C0^2, on T4R.org and stumbled across a link to your writeup. I'll be referring to this post when I do the bushings, for sure! If you're not aware of the Tundra brake upgrade for 3rd gen 4Runners', check this out:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...ements-231mm-13wl-tundra-calipers-rotors.html

Also, the guy that created this thread is one of the most meticulous thread posters and is a very talented weekend mechanic. His rig is a work of art. The amount of time he's put into his 4Runner is incredible! Check it out:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/68346-i-found-one-2001-sport-ed-trd-scd.html

more notables:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/85197-ripcords-2002-4runner-build-photo-timeline.html

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/95322-dirtcos-1999-4runner-build-42.html

Thanks again! Your link has led me to joint this Forum!:clap:

jim65wagon is correct...This write-up works for the 1st Gen Tundras also...In the process of doing mine. From underneath, you cant tell the difference between the 4R and my '00 Tundie.

It might be a good time to mention that this is the procedure for
1996-2002 4Runners
and
1995.5-2004 Tacomas as well.

:cheers:

I replaced mine this morning and thank you for the detailed write up, the only thing I would add is that I removed two bolts from the steering linkage to give more access and the ability to move the rack more.

Thanks again.

Tony

I've been lurking for years but had to post on this one...great write up! I had all the tools out and was prepped well for the job. For the center bushing, I cut the bottom lip off, placed a 1 7/16 inch socket on top of the bushing, and used a 6 inch clamp to press the sucker out. I have a 2wd so I don't know if there are any components on the superior side of the steering rack that would interfere with using this method. Once again, great write up. I have pics if anyone wants to see them...just request it and I'll get it done.

Best write up around. Add my two cents after completing this last night. Instead of bashing your knuckles on the 19mm bolt on the top of the rack, take your grinder and make a slash in the end of the stud. It effectively turns it into a flat head screw. You will have to break it loose with a 19mm box end but after that it is smooth sailing.

stud.jpg

picture links are dying off :( anyone by chance know a whole writeup to change the entire steering rack?

Hi guys just wondering what sort of things a tell signs bushes a worn ??.My allignment shop told me mine need replacing, but not sure as car drives fine and steering is nice and smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom