Steering jitters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
Just replaced the tie rods, knuckle bearings, center arm, & am about to go install a new steering stabilizer. The problem has been that even after replacing those 1st 3 things the rig (78 FJ40) was still a handful to keep going straight - it seems to want to jump around a lot more than it ever should. Anyone out there got any ideas? Think a stablizer could do the trick?
Thanks again,
Nic

One of the first things I did was add a supplementary stabilizer/damper to my rig. Helped A LOT. Then I did everything else. Stock sized tires, new TREs, new steering box, rebuilt the center arm. Things were going well. So, a few weeks ago I said, let's try taking off the damper. I only drove 2 miles before I put it back on. I guess I am saying I REALLY like the steering damper.

A heavy duty steering stabilizer right? Instead of the factory shock...
Nic

Actually, this is a heavy duty in addition to the factory damper :eek:.

I bought an aftermarket steering dampener from Rancho, it mounts off the axle to the lower Rod. I also replaced the factory stock one with the heavy duty replacemnet form SOR. Problem with the rancho one, is that it goes in the water everytime the water is up to the axle.. not sure how long the seals are going to hold out. Like IDave says, these things make all the difference in the world. My rig after doing all the steering stuff still had play in it too. I determined that the rod from the pitman arm to the center arm has a slight bend in it and it flexes everytime I turn the wheel, so it needs to be replaced. BTW, anyone got a straight drag link rod they want to sell?

Mike

ive got a skyjacker stabilizer in addition to a worn out stock and it seems to help. my truck was wandering bad when i first got it, repacked the wheel bearings, replaced the center arm and it seemed to fix that.
offroad it wanders a bit, thats what i got the skyjacker for. I havent had a chance to test it yet offroad, but onroad it seems to make a difference.

The tie-rod mounted stabilizer makes a world of difference. You still need to adjust all your existing components. Read the thread about 35s front shimmy. These adj. were discussed there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom