Steering gear re-tubing (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

I would like to re-plumb the power steering my BJ70 (CDM) w 3/8" stainless tube and get rid of all the rubber tube splices from the PO.

Don't like the way the lines are strung down across the front of the frame. My plan would be to come off the steering gear with some SS braided lines first, then hook-up to 3/8 tube which will run under the high-side battery and then across the firewall to the resevoir and pump.

Does anyone know what type and size of fittings I need to screw into the steering gear? I would like to get the fittings in hand before I take off the old ones. I read a thread once that mentioned BSP....can't seem to find the thread now though. Also, anyone see any problems with this plan (i.e. will I need to bleed/how do I bleed the system once I have it all hooked back up?)

Cheers
D

by running the tubes across the front frame rail you get a cooling effect for the fluid. you will need rubber somewhere to absorb the vibration of the engine or the steel lines will eventually crack...

do the JDMs have the lines run across the front? I'm wondering how much cooling is needed for the fluid.

The connection to the resevoir and pump will remain rubber.
The connection to the steering gear will be with braided flex-hose.
I would think this should provide enough absorbtion.

well it ain't broke.....so maybe i should tinker with my fried oil px gage instead!

I'll get my tube bending fix running the hose thru my dash.

Cheers
D

To bleed the air out: leave top off of resevoir (add oil an nec below)
: Jack front tires off the ground.
: Fill resevoir and slowly turn wheels from lock to lock while engine is running until level stays up and oil stops foaming.

Pump will also quiet down when air is all out.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom