Steering gear box replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m in the process of deciding how to get my box repaired or just buy another one.
Whats the consensus here on replacing boxes?
where should I be looking?
Toyota dealer, Autozone, Rock Auto or?

Thanks for your input.

Some things are no brainers to price compare for Stateside folks.

Steering gear box (44110-60212), you buy from Partsouq.

McGeorge Toyota $2957 + shipping + sales tax for most
Partsouq $1767 + shipping
This info just came up in another thread. A factory box would require a new pitman arm as well, as they have upgraded the box. Something to think about if you wheel it.

As for what to do, depends what's wrong with it, you might be able to rebuild it yourself. If you want someone else to do the dirty work, I wouldn't go with a cheap reman. These guys have a good rep. RockAuto usually deals with quality suppliers, but I have no experience with steering boxes from them, if they're even available.

This info just came up in another thread. A factory box would require a new pitman arm as well, as they have upgraded the box. Something to think about if you wheel it.

As for what to do, depends what's wrong with it, you might be able to rebuild it yourself. If you want someone else to do the dirty work, I wouldn't go with a cheap reman. These guys have a good rep. RockAuto usually deals with quality suppliers, but I have no experience with steering boxes from them, if they're even available.
Thanks man - good to know. There’s so many choices out there.

Thanks man - good to know. There’s so many choices out there.
It was an ez decision for me. Grab a new OEM box while still available at $<2K. When you actually have one in hand, you realize why the MSRP is more than double that price, but then a new 1FZ-FE head is cheaper. Mind boggled.

Most folks have been very happy with sending their og box in to Redhead.

Any other option is pure junk.

Good luck dude.

Last edited:
It was an ez decision for me. Grab a new OEM box while still available at $<2K. When you actually have one in hand, you realize why the MSRP is more than double that price, but then a new 1FZ-FE head is cheaper. Mind boggled.

Most folks have been very happy with sending their og box in to Redhead.

Any other option is pure junk.

Good luck dude.
OEM is an easy choice agree. Especially, considering you are getting a brand new Toyota box that will last you another 20+ years plus it will bring tight steering back.

To do a quality rebuild on the steering box you need to spend almost the same amount in parts as a new box. :bang:

if you are
I’m in the process of deciding how to get my box repaired or just buy another one.
Whats the consensus here on replacing boxes?
where should I be looking?
Toyota dealer, Autozone, Rock Auto or?

Thanks for your input.
if you are interested I have 1 box available brand new OEM at $1699. PM me if interested

if you are

if you are interested I have 1 box available brand new OEM at $1699. PM me if interested
I need to take a rain check til after the Putin party.

I purchased a reman from Rockauto. Still had some slop but better than the original to the truck. I eventually sent the original to RedHead w/ the 105 upgrade and it was a massive improvement. Now I have a spare as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom