Steering difficulties - need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
???I need advice...Recently we swapped out the front differential from a 79' into our 75' FJ40. This was to gain disk brakes. While we were at it, we added a lock rite solid locker. Now, on the trail, under acceleration the rig wants to turn one way, and under deceleration, it wants to turn the other. Trying to physically turn it against what it wants is very difficult. I know power steering would help, but it acts like something else is amiss. The 79' diff. appears to be about 2 - 3" wider than the 75' was. Could we have messed up the steering geometry? Any thoughts that could help resolve this are appreciated. We are taking the rig on the Memorial Day run at Clayton, OK and need to get this straightened out. Thanks. Chuck

does it always try to turn the same way when accelerating and always the opposite when decelerating. if it is always the same it sound like the lock-rite is only engaging on oue wheel. check both front hubs and make sure they both are locked in and working correctly. did you put the front on stands and check the engagment of the lock-rite on both sides like the instructions say?

Yes, it always acts the same. Accelerate, it is difficult to turn one way, decelerate, it is difficult to turn the other way. We checked it this evening on a short incline with loose dirt. All four tires were spinning equally at this particular place. The real difficulty comes when descending a hill that turns the way the steering does not want to go! Tomorrow I will get it up on stands and check it in the garage.
Chuck

I have been researching lockers now as i want to install them in my Cruiser, and from what I have read, lock right & Detroit lockers all carry cautions when installing them on the front axle. They are always trying to lock the wheels, therefore they will always resist a turn. What I have seen locally here on a FJ75 was that the guy modified the external gate to the transfercase, allowing him to select 2wd low. If he needed to do tight turns, he just shifted the lever sideways out of 4wd low, into 2wd low, made the turn and then put it back.

79 and 75 should be the same width, UNLESS you ended up with an axle from a different model. Is your steering wheel still centered? Have you tried putting the drivetrain under engine torque with an assistant watching the front to see if you can visually see the bind issue? LockRite is not a bad front locker. Power steering?? y/n

No, the steering wheel is not centered. I have also adjusted the alignment of the tires, since after the install the rear of the tires was measuring 30" apart, while the front of the tires was at 28". Now they are each at 29". This corrected some obvious street driving difficulties (it also moved the steering wheel some more, but the position of the steering wheel does not concern me yet). The 79' front diff was being used in an FJ40 previously, but it may have come from some other vehicle originally. Watching while the rig is climbing has been done. No binding could be detected. I do not have power steering. I have heard that this is expected with front lockers. Chuck

:p Chuck, It sounds like you have an fj-60 axle, they are 3' wider than a 40, and have 3.73 gears unless you put your 40 gears in the axle ???? HTH, Earl

I think you are correct. We elected to put the old gearing in (4.10) because the driveshaft flange would not mate up to the drive shaft with the "newer" differential.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom