Steering box rebuild issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently rebuilt the steering box on my 85 FJ60 and was finally able to reattach and test. With the front end in the air, the wheel turns freely towards the passenger (right) side but struggles when turned to the driver (left) side (but will turn fully left). When I start the engine, all appears normal until you turn the wheel. At the slightest touch, the wheel/tires will violently turn left/right about 45 degrees until I kill the engine. I know fluid is moving through the system, but this weekend I'm going to pull the box and take a look.

While doing so I also noticed, while freely spinning the front tires/hubs, the rotors sound like they are rubbing the brake pads, and when the rotors are gripped at the top and bottom and wiggled, there is some (very little) play/movement.

I am stumped on these issues. The front knuckles have been rebuilt this past fall with new bearing, seals, and everything. I am now afraid I did something wrong with the front end and will need to start pulling that apart well. As for the steering, everything I find is when the vehicle is moving. Removing and rebuilding isn't the issue though, I'm just not sure what I should be looking for with these issues. I have been and still actively searching the forums, but any help would be appreciated.

Link to build - 1985 FJ60 Build "Clarice" - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1985-fj60-build-clarice.1240464/

Sounds like the steering gear box was assembled incorrectly, how do is beyond me, I’ve never been inside one.
The brake pads will ride on the rotor, they are never fully retracted so that rubbing is normal.
as to the rotor play, are the wheel studs tight and pulled all the way snug to the hub? If so, I would think that your hub bearing lock nut/star washer is not torqued properly.

Reactions: OSS
If you can't figure out what went wrong with the steering gear box, accept defeat and buy a professionally rebuilt unit and return your messed up one for the core refund

The front knuckles have been rebuilt this past fall with new bearing, seals, and everything.
grab wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and see if there is any play... if there is retorque your bearing knuckles.... that might be the rubbing on the B pads.....
when the rotors are gripped at the top and bottom and wiggled, there is some (very little) play/movement.
shouldnt be any play there... check your caliper bolts...... 90 ft-lb, but check your service manual.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom