steering adjustment 71fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I plan on doing a P/S conversion in the future, but for now can someone explain to me how to adjust the steering box so it doesn't have so much play in it today I replaced all the tie rods and adjusted them to have 1/4 inch toe in however going down the highway I notice I still have some play in the steering any help is apreciated
thanks
marc

How much play do you have? The owner's manual for '72 specifies 2 inches at the steering wheel.

Other things that will affect your play include the center arm shaft/wear, and tire size (28" was the standard these came out of the factory with; bigger tires have more play).

Don't forget the rag joint before the steering box. I replaced mine with a new part the PO gave me, reduced play about 2.5" Still have a good bit of play, but that is expected since all my tie rod joints need to seals and my center arm needs a rebuild.

The "proper " way to adjust the center arm is, of course,
loosen the 14mm bolt on top, turn the 17mm head of the pivot until snug(not tight) and back it off about a 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. I set them up at about 1/8". The relay joints that are on the "pitman" arm of the box at both ends of that drag link have a cotter pin in the end, remove it, then you can adjust it with a LARGE blade screwdriver if that's all you have.
And they should stay pretty snug, and MAKE SURE TO
GREASE every joint you can find. And then every zert you can find!! And there is no adjustment on the box it self but make sure it is full of oil!!!(30W is fine)

Kruzrtek
kruzrtk@xmission.com

i also have a steering problem that i didn't think would hurt to ask. i have a 71 fj40 with some kind of power steering welded to the front bumper/winch. the steering wheel normally is 1/4 turned to the right, but when i go over railroad tracks or other bumps, it changes to 1/4 to the left. i have a ball fastened to the wheel cuz there's so much play. what would cause that?

There is no adjustment for wear or play in the box itself. Replace all the worn parts and adjust the center arm. The box has an adjuster screw, but it only adjusts the amount of preload on the sector shaft (what the Pitman arm is attached to). If you over tighten it, it might feel like there is less play because the steering wheel will have more resistance, but it doesn't compensate for wear or slop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom